Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Chronic painless lymph gland swelling

Hi,

I have three notable enlarged lymph nodes, all cervical, that have been notable for at least 3 years. They are mobile, non-tender, and rubbery in texture. I saw a physician who ordered two ultrasounds (the second one came back with the nodes the same size, so not growing rapidly) over the span of three months. The largest is about 3 cm in diameter. One is on the left side of my neck, and the other two are bilateral and just below the angle of my jaw.

The physician sent me for a needle biopsy, however it came back inconclusive. I was reassured and sent home.

My question is, I've done some reading which shows that a needle biopsy is not a good diagnostic test for cervical lumps unless they are located in the thyroid. Should I be concerned about them, if they don't seem to be enlarging? Is there a chance its still a malignancy? If not, what could be causing this?

Edit: Sorry, other possibly relevant factors are that I'm female and in my early 20's. I also do not have a family physician, or I would be asking them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2010
If these, or other, lymph nodes continue to enlarge (particularly if they are painless), then excisional biopsy of one or more of these lymph nodes should be considered to rule-out lymphoma.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.