Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

chronic pain from improperly healed shin fracture


I am a 22 year old male. 6 years ago I fractured my shin in two places after rolling a snowmobile. Decided to 'walk it off' at the time and didn't realize it was broken. After several years of chronic pain (from mid thigh to lower shin) I decided to get xrays. The bone healed improperly and has developed 'extra' bone lumps in some places that push on my nerves and muscles.

Over the counter pain meds and maloxicam do not work, nor does icing heating, rest or Excercise, physio or massage.

My doctor has sent me to a specialist but it will take 4 months - what can I use to handle pain in the mean time? Nothing seems to work and the pain keeps me up in the night I can hardly sleep. Doctor is very conservative with medication, but I need a change.

Thanks for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2019
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

If there is significant compression and associated pain then a 2nd opinion from an orthopedic surgeon should be sought to determine the need for relieving compression surgically. Till then, NSAIDs, pregabalin, physiotherapy and local substance P depleting agents can be used in consultation with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health


Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.