In September 2011, I got a painful ear infection (otitis) after swimming in the sea. I was given antibiotics, which eventually got rid of it. I didn't swim again until 2013. When I did, I got another otitis, and again needed antibiotics to clear it.

The symptoms were intense pain in my left ear, with the left side of my head/neck slightly numb to the touch.

Since then, I've suffered intermittent mild ear problems with increasing frequency. After sleeping on my left side, I often wake up with my hearing slightly blocked and discomfort that goes down to my shoulder.

Water coming into contact with my ear is always problematic. When I swim, I now always do so with earplugs - and I no longer put my head under water. Despite this, if I get splashed with water, just a drop coming into contact with my ear tends to cause it to become blocked and painful for the next few days. Even showering can be a problem.

I feel this problem is gradually worsening. Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i want you to know that chronic otitis media needs work up for the cause. Cholesteatoma, chronic secretory otitis media also is a possiblty. Swimming is itself a risk factor for otitis externa.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.