User Profile
I'm a 44 y.o. male and a couple of months ago my ankles suddenly started swelling to the point where I couldn't put my regular shoes on. I went to see my PCP and they did a urine test and found enough protein to warrant a 24 hour sample. The test results showed 15 grams of protein. Since then I've been on Lasix (40mg) and Metolazone (2.5 mg) for the swelling. Also Diovan (80mg - not for high blood pressure, but supposed to help with the protein loss), Liptor (80 mg), and Potassium Chloride (10 MEQ). Otherwise I'm healthy, but 20 pounds overweight. I just had a renal biopsy on 4/29/10. No results yet. I might also add that I did have MRSA skin infections two years ago that was cleared up with Clindamycin. Could MRSA have caused my chronic nephritis? Has anyone ever recovered from that much protein loss with being given steroids? Am I doomed or what? I'm so worried. I have a wife and two young kids to support.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A11754
Hi, thanks for using the ehealth forum for your query.
You seem concerned by the nephrotic syndrome and its consequences.
MRSA is known to cause glomerulonephritis which is reversible and once the infection is cleared, the protein loss in the urine decreases but in your case with infection cleared two years ago and nephrotic symptoms developing only two months ago the MRSA is unlikely to be the cause unless the infection is still residing inside your body somewhere.
The other common causes of nephrotic syndrome include MCD, FSGS, membranous glomerulopathy, MPGN, diabetic nephropathy, amyloidosis etc. which can be diagnosed with renal biopsy.
Treatment is directed to the cause. Diovan belonging to the class of drugs ARBs is shown to be reducing the protein loss and renoprotective along with NSAIDs. The recovery depends on the cause as FSGS has bad reputation of causing renal failure whereas membranous glomerulopathy is known to remit spontaneously.
You must continue follow up with your nephrologist and hope for the best in renal biopsy report.
Hope, I have been of help. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.