Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Chronic nausea for a year?

Since December of 2012 I have had constant nausea with no pain in my abdomen. There is rarely vomiting but always a constant feeling of nausea that ranges from mild to severe. I have been tested for nearly everything
-H. pylori
-Yeast problems/candida
-gastroparesis/gastric emptying scan
-upper endoscopy done
-no allergies to gluten, dairy, soy, egg (anything)
-no tapeworms/parasites according to most recent stool sample
-was put on PPIs (for GERD) for months and felt no difference
-low amounts of antibodies were found (basically my intestines have a crappy immune system)

I am fatigued and can barely walk for 10 minutes without feeling like passing out. I burp often (unusual for me) but do not have bad acid reflux. I am depressed and often feel detached from reality in a out-of-body feeling (like I am high). I am 18 and am afraid I will have to drop out of school because of all my absences. Does anyone have any ideas? I am starting to lose hope
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2015

Thank you for asking at ehealthforum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. You question has answers in it. GERD is the notorious cause for chronic nausea. Control acid reflux and you wont have a problem. Lose weight, avoid chocolate spice beverages and stimulants . Eat small frequent meals. avoid processed and canned products.

Small bowel bacterial overgrowth, gastric bile reflux or acid reflux are frequent benign causes of nausea, vomiting and retching , Metabolic causes such as hyperglycaemia, hypercalcaemia, renal impairment, and Addison's disease need to be excluded. Gastroparesis and slow upper GI transit can exacerbate symptoms. Oesophageal motility disorders such as diffuse oesophageal spasm or ineffective motility may also cause chronic nausea.

I hope it helps. stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and can not be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.

Take care
Khan

|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2015
Experienced User
I'm fairly certain your problems are caused by infectious mononucleosis. Fairly common for your age group. I highly doubt the above Doctor's diagnosis ideas as your nausea does not seem to originate from digestive issues. Mono can take a long time to resolve in some people, with the recovery phase you see fatigue, space out feelings and NAUSEA as predominate symptoms. Sometimes these problems can go on for more than a year.

Unfortunately it's a hard diagnosis to make after your out of the initial acute phase.
|
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.