Hello. I am a 36 year old man who has had chronic low back pain every day for the past 6 years. It has changed and evolved over those years but on spot in particular has always been there from day one and that is pain on the right side of my low back. I first noticed it after doing sit-ups that felt like a light muscle strain but it never went away. Then the same spot got worse when I tried to lift something heavy at work. I have had an mri and it showed a bulging disc on the right side of l5 s1 though nobody seems to think this is a source of the pain. I have tried rest, physical therapy, acupuncture, massage, prolotheropy, chiropractors, spinal decompression, radio frequency ablation and steroid injections. Nothing has helped. I have never had any numbness or tingling or pain anywhere except my low back. The shots would help slightly that were injected into my si and facet joints but never took the pain away on that spot on the right side of my low back that has been there every day. My low back is also extremely tight from spasming to protect the injury. When I do spinal decompression or use an inversion table it aggregates that spot on the low rights side of my back and cause pain. As soon as I’m done with decompression therapy I can barely walk or get off the machine without help. Once I walk around for a few minutes, the pain and difficulty walking subsides and goes back to normal. I am desperate and have gone broke trying everything. I wish somebody could think outside the box. The pain is where the mri shows the herniated disk but I never had numbness or tingling or pain down my leg. Is it possible that is the cause of the pain and can stay just at the disk?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its due to bulging of disk and if it doesnot respond to conservative treatment then go for surgical decompression.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|

replied May 8th, 2019
Active User, very eHealthy
"I first noticed it after doing sit-ups that felt like a light muscle strain but it never went away"

Then do the opposite:
1) "Static extension on elbows"

or

2) "Static back" with a rolled up towel under your lower back / hip.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.