Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Chronic headache affecting vision

User Profile
I believe I've got sinus problems but want to check if you agree, and see what advice you have to relieve the problems.

My symptoms are a chronic headache across the front of my forehead, sometimes so bad it affects my vision and often makes me feel sick. But the weirdest symptom is difficult to describe. It affects my ears and balance - some people say sinusitis is like when you have ear popping on a plane. My problem is best described by a sort of "wave" going through my head destablising me - sometimes every few seconds...

Does this sound like sinusitis and if so, what can I do to relieve these symptoms?

Many thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2010
Sinusitis Answer A9967
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

There is a great possibility that the nagging pain in head and vision problems is due to nerve compression at cervical spine level. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Before suggesting a treatment, the neurologist will go for a MRI of the cervical spine region.

Overuse of computers, wrong posture, work involving straining of neck, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, etc. can all add to the problem. Hence these have to be evaluated too.

If this is not found to be the cause, then high blood pressure could be the cause. A 24 hour monitoring of the BP will be required. Both a cervical nerve compression and a high BP can cause an additional sound in the ear.

Since you have a headache almost daily, what you have is in all probability not a simple migraine but a chronic daily headache (CDH). This can be the primary type—without any cause. The CDH could also be secondary to trauma, raised intracranial hypertension, high blood pressure, cervical disorders like pinched nerves, temporal arteritis etc.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!

Note: This medical answer is not the final diagnosis as a confirmed diagnosis cannot be made on net without examining the patient. The post aims to just provide basic medical information based on the medical history available. Suggested Lab tests should be done only if advised by the treating doctor. No treatment advised should be taken without direct consultation with your own health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.