Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on my headaches. I have had chronic headaches now for the last three to four weeks. The pain seems centered around my eyes and forehead. I have had some blurry vision, as well as some inner ear pain, and pain at the base of the skull. The pain seems to go from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep. I saw my GP Doc for this and he prescribed me amitriptyline, with the feeling that I have either migraine, cluster headache, or tension headache. The med seems to have no effect after the week or so I have been taking it.

So, now I am worried. I mentioned getting a head CT to my Doc at my last visit and he said he wanted to wait with it and take it "step by step". But meanwhile I am feeling no better and am no closer to a diagnosis.

I have been reading up on my symptoms, and noticed a correlation between what I am feeling and the symptoms for pre-ruptured aneurysm. Suffice it to say I am now sufficiently freaked out. I hate to do an end run around my GP, but at this point I am feeling I need to see a neurologist ASAP. Am I overreacting or is it as perilous as my paranoia is making it out to be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think your symptoms are characteristic for unruptured brain aneurysm. They seem more related to TMJ disorder.
Patient with TMJ disorder may experience some of the following symptoms: blurred vision, eye pain above, below and behind eye, pressure behind eyes, light sensitivity, watering of the eyes, forehead pain, sinus-like headache, headaches at the back of the head, with or without shooting pain, clogged, "stuffy", itchy ears, ear ringing, painful ears, dizziness, neck pain, back pain.

Try to see a dentist specialized in diagnosing and treating TMJ disorder.
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Thanks Marija for your reply! I am not sure if I have a TMJ disorder or not, but it is interesting to note that I do have what dentists call a "cross bite", due to some misalignment of my teeth. I will bring it up with my doc during the next visit, or maybe even with my dentist.

Yes, I do think I was overreacting when I read the aneurysm symptoms. I saw a couple things that matched up to me, and my mind just jumped to the worst case.

But that said, I will feel a lot better when I have a more concrete diagnosis and treatment plan. Right now it just feels like shooting in the dark.
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
Actually, misalignment of the teeth or bite problem is one of the causes for TMJ disorder.
When the teeth in the upper and lower jaw are not lined up correctly, leads to an uneven pressure to each side of the jaw, that puts the muscles and TMJ under stress.
This added muscle tension can cause pain and various symptoms of TMJ disorder.
The misaligned bite or malocclusion of the jaw can cause TMJ, but, it can also get worse from the TMJ.

See a dentist!
Best wishes!
Marija
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....