Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Chronic granular pharyngitis is a HIV symptom?

User Profile
sir Chronic granular pharyngitis is a HIV symptom? If u say yes
How many days after a sore throat caused by infected HIV?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A31073
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Chronic granular pharyngitis is due to chronic inflammation of the mucous surfaces of the pharynx and adjacent tissues. The classic findings on clinical examination in such a condition would be hypertrophy of the mucosa, seromucinous glands and sub epithelial lymphoid follicles.

Most common cause of such condition is because of retrograde flow of gastric contents to the upper aero-digestive tract, which causes a variety of symptoms, such as cough, hoarseness and irritation in the throat (Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux).

It may be the result of repeated attacks of the acute pharyngitis. Causes include prolonged smoking, alcohol intake, severe acid reflux and chronic sinusitis.

Such a condition is usually not seen with viral infections, including HIV. But in advanced HIV infections and AIDS, where the immune system is severely debilitated, recurrent fungal infections (candidiasis), can over time can result in such conditions.

For your information, AIDS usually develops usually within 7 to 10 years after HIV infection, specially when the condition is not detected and not treated adequately.

In case, you have been diagnosed with such a condition, you may consult with a ENT doctor for proper treatment which may include a course of antibiotics, antihistamines, and steroid sprays.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.