Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Chronic gout, terrible pain, on allopurinol

My partner has chronic gout and is on 400mg of Allopurinol each day. This has been increased to 500mg last Friday but he is in terrible pain,is this normal at 1st? how many days does it take to settle back down?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
Re: Chronic gout, terrible pain, on allopurinol
CMBlic wrote:
My partner has chronic gout and is on 400mg of Allopurinol each day. This has been increased to 500mg last Friday but he is in terrible pain,is this normal at 1st? how many days does it take to settle back down?

Hard to say. If the medication is removing uric acid then it will start to effect a slow dissolving of the acid in the joints which of course is what causes gout. When this acid is being built up OR removed, it can cause a flare up. It is a double whammy that it hurts as bad coming out as going in. It might be that effect which your partner is experiencing?
|

replied December 3rd, 2012
Just FYI ... cherries or 'juicy juice' cherry juice 100% juice no sugar added. Drink a cup a day and it sifts out the uric acid out of your liver which in turn assists in avoiding flare ups with Gout.

I did this for many years and it barely ever flares-up. But also within the past few years I was diagnosed with MTHFR a defiency in B12, folic acid and B6 but I need the converted form of B12 which is methylB12. Maybe you have a defiency in B12 which also causes gout.

So try one or both but I'd suggest the methylB12 1000 over the regular form it absorbs quicker into your system.

Secondly uric acid build up ... what a pain. I have this in my knees, feet, hands. But what I discovered also is that 2 hours before or after a meal get a glass of water and put a spoonful of 'arm & hammer' baking soda in it, stir and drink. By doing this it dissolves the crystals around the joints. You can do this once a day, in a week you will feel a big difference. Also, when doing this be sure to drink plenty of water through out the day such as 8 - 8oz water.

Enjoy!
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....