Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Chronic frequent urination after a flu 6 years ago

Hello. I'm a 23 year old male and for the last 6 years I've suffered from frequent urination.

It all began in 2011 when I was taking acne medicines which made me dehydrated and prone to infections. At some point I got a flu and apart from usual flu symptoms I got burning sensation during urination (not much pain, though) and had to urinate every 30 minutes. The flu itself subsided after 2 weeks, but very frequent urination and the burning sensation persevered for 1,5 year despite three antibiotic courses. The burning eventually went away by itself in 2013 and the only medicine I was taking at that time was tolterodine. From that point on for the last 4 years I've had an urge to urinate every 1-3 hours while I urinated every 4-5 hours before my problems began (I could easily hold it longer, though). According to blood tests, urine tests, ultrasound, urine flow rate tests and rectal examination I'm perfectly fine.

Moreover, frequent urination gets significantly aggravated by stress in situations when I can't go to a toilet, but even when I'm at home the frequent urge is present. I can consciously hold urine for over 4 hours but afterwards my urethra feels "weak" and is throbbing so that I need to go to a toilet every 45 minutes or so for a day or two.

It might be also important that that flu in 2011 also left me with jaundice which went on for a year. However, my liver eventually recovered and while my bilirubin levels are still high now I can work out vigorously a couple of days a week without experiencing any adverse affects.

Do you think that my urinary problem is now more physical or psychological and is it a good idea to practice bladder training despite that feeling of a weak urethra?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2018
Based on your detailed history and description interstitial cystitis appears to be a possibility. You should consult a urologist to offer cystoscopy if the empirical treatment with antibiotics, anticholinergics and anxiolytics don't prove successful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Flu, Stress, Acne
Quick Reply
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.