Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

chronic enlarged lymph nodes

I am a 35 yr old female, about 3 years ago I noticed enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and by my jaw joint. I have continuously been to the doctors with no results. Several blood tests, all have come back normal. Repeated CT scans all show multiple enlarged lymph nodes. Doctor says they are enlarged but are at 1 cm. They have not grown but seem to be multiplying, now going into chest and I have one in groin area. Doctor doesn't seem to be concerned. I have become very depressed and this is taking over my life. I have 2 small children and was planning on one more but have decided to hold off. I have been a smoker, have quit recently, Have gerd, IBS, colitis, frequent migraines. Some days my whole body hurts, others I feel fine. I have alot of neck, back, and hip pain. The one by my jaw causes some pain, it seems to feel like its swollen alot and jaw hurts to open in morning. My doctor finally sent me to an oncologist. He didn't tell me anything! Ordered blood test and chest xray said I would see his assisstant when I come back. I don't rnderstand why they can't just do a biopsy to put my mind at ease. They said they like to wait til they get bigger! I feel like they are waiting until it is too late. This is ruining my life and I don't even know if it is cancer yet! If anyone can please help me out with some advice or info I would really appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2010
Unfortunately, without examing you (and the films from your x-rays), I am not going to be able to offer you much more information that your doctors have provided.

If you have progressive, painless enlargement of multiple lymph nodes, then it might be reasonable to consider a biopsy. (You might ask your primary doctor to refer you to an ENT surgeon.)

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied May 25th, 2010
I have the same symptoms. After a year, I finally found a doctor willing to pursue the issue. We're doing one more round of blood work this week. If nothing shows up, then I'm getting a biopsy. I'll let you know what happens. BTW, I really know how you feel. Can't believe I'm actually relieved to get a biopsy.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.