User Profile
I am a 22 year old male who has been suffering from chronic facial flushing for the past few years. I'm not talking about blushing or quick flashes of tinted cheeks, but instead what I have is a deep flush that starts out in specific patches on my face before spreading across my cheeks and neck. I find myself having these flushing episodes every day at almost the same time (evenings, after work, starting at around 5pm and lasting hours or until I fall asleep and wake up again). The redness usually starts at the corners of my chin and run down my neck in streaks. I can feel the warmness start, and then of course by thinking about it, the hive like flush starts to spread. There are triggers than can bring it about as well, including sunlight, alcohol, and exercise. I also turn red if I take a shower any time during the day other than right after waking up. I am not convinced this is Rosacea either, I do not have acne or bumps, just deep, red, hot flushing. What could this be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2016
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A58106
Welcome to e health forum.

Flushed skin is a common physical response to anxiety, stress, embarrassment, anger, or another extreme emotional state.

The symptoms you are having are most likely due to physiological reasons.

Overheating, such as after exercise. bath or sauna, can cause physiologic flushing because of the effect of the rise in blood temperature on the thermoregulatory center in the anterior hypothalamus. A similar mechanism is responsible for facial flushing caused by hot drinks.

In most cases if your symptoms are severe, a simple measure would be to suck on ice chips. This attenuates flushing for the first 20 to 30 minutes. If this does not help and your flushing is intolerable consult your doctor who can prescribe beta-blockers to help your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Acne, Exercise
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.