Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

chronic daily headaches with 2-3 aura migraines per week.

User Profile
I am a 30yr old female with a history of migraines, approximately 2-3 per year. In march of 2012 I began to have chronic daily headaches with 2-3 aura migraine episodes per week. I have had mri and ct scan, both normal, blood work, chiropractic adjustment, acupuncture, and massage with no relief. I have also seen the optometrist and dentist to rule anything out. I have seen a neurologist who prescribed 10mg of nortriptyline daily. I began taking on may 24, I did not have anymore headaches or migraines, but 1week after taking the medication I be ame very dizzy daily. I was taking it before bed. The neuro recommended to come off the medication, within 3-4 days the headaches were back and I have had 3 migraine this week. I don't get the severe migraine headache, I get a visual aura of lightning flashes and then I take 400mg of ibuprofen and within 15mins it is gone? The headaches are there daily though about a 4 on a scale. I have logged these and cannot find a common trigger

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2012
Headache and Migraines Answer A36273
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you have Classic migraine, which is triggered by specific or nonspecific causes. Migraine is caused by abnormal brain activity, which is triggered by stress, certain foods, environmental factors, or numerous trigger factors.

Some common trigger factors seen to precipitate symptoms in migraine patients - include alcohol, bright lights, various odors or perfumes, sleep disturbances, loud noises, physical or emotional stress and exposure to smoke. These trigger factors stimulate the sympathetic nervous system in the body, that controls primitive responses to stress and pain, the so called "fight or flight" response, and this activation causes many of the symptoms associated with migraine attacks.

There are two ways to prevent migraine headaches:
1. by avoiding the trigger factors that cause the headaches in you.
2. by taking prophylactic medications to prevent the headaches.

If the triggering factor in your case has not been identified, it would be better to continue the prophylactic treatment suggested by your neurologist.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.