Since as long as I remember, from a toddler perhaps, diagnosed during high school.
Even since being diagnosed im still suffering. I am feeling depressed and want to cry.
I have had people assume im pregnsnt again, and although I still have 8 kg left to lose to get back to my old weight before I had kids (I used to be 55kg) I think my bloatedness due to chronic constipation is what makes people think im pregnant

I have a couple of family members who are really good at picking up on the smell when I have gas and it smells bad that they always think one of my kids have pooed themselves. I even check their bums and just say "oh he hasn't pooed today, it must be coming" and pretend its my baby/toddler that's farted sometimes... they don't seem to learn even though they all know I have chronic constipation and this ends up happening over and over and over...

I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow and demand more tests...im sick of living like this. Isnt constipation just a symptom? I have never heard of a diagnosis named 'lazy bowel' before.

I had a barium xray and was tested for celiacs and as far as I know that's all I was checked for but I was young and prob need to check on that

Im 25 and I just hate this. my husband asks me if I farted and gets grossed out by it to sometimes. and by sometimes I mean often

I strain so bad every time I do go toilet, sometimes I get no where, I always feel like I cant get it all out, sometimes I bleed, sometimes its hard and painful, occasionally I get diarrhea when it gets real bad but that's hardly ever, lol although most people would consider what I have real bad all the time, but well when its extremely severe I guess.

The enemas I use when im desperate don't work that great now, it gets some out but not all of it,

Im sorry its so gross to talk about.
Im really upset that I just have to put up with this all the time
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2013
I really haven't depended on laxatives either, I use them for short term fixes only
|

replied November 13th, 2013
At the doctors they had a look through my notes which diagnosed me in 2004 when I would have been 16. They say I have a diminished peristaltic movement, there was a question mark around Hirschsprungs disease but they said they would need to do a biopsy and didnt feel they needed to at that point...they put me on metamucil and lactolose and i guess i didnt really realize that thats just the plan for life really. :/ so ive been put on that again and if it doesnt improve i could see about getting a referral for hirscsprungs disease but he said it would still be the same result really...the medications im already meant to be on.

I don't know when my symptoms first appeared. Mum did once tell me she asked a plunket nurse about my large stools. i dont think she remembers that now. then she said she took me to the doctor once who didnt check anything really as he never realized as a child. i went through my childhood and into high school having to wipe myself every time i even just went to wee, and i always had problems with small traces of liqid-like stool going in my knickers... i so wish id known what was wrong with me back then, i used to think it was me and didnt understand why i always had those problems, like i must of been doing something wrong. it makes sense to me that it could be hirshsprungs disease despite my late diagnosis at 16 because of how long i suffered with problems for.
|

replied November 23rd, 2013
I am really upset tonight and need someone to talk to that understands what im going through. We were at a wedding and at one point I farted (I didn't even realize but clearly I had) and someone was asking who farted, accusing their partner, and saying seriously someone had shat themselves. I was trying to put on an act to not get caught out...its horrible...and of course its just because my farts smell worse than normal peoples .... I think of all the conditions to have its something I can live with but the really embarrassing aspects of it I cant. Sad im in bed crying and didn't even have much to drink so its not the drink toying with my emotions lol, it just totally ruined my night when that happened
|

I also just read that if I have hiershsprungs (sorry cant spell it hah) that they do operate...the doctor said they had considered it but hadn't done it and he told me the result would be the same either way (medication for life...no mention of an op) was he wrong? cuz if theres a chance I need an op to cure this I want the damn biopsy
|

Experienced User
Well first of all I would like to say it fairly unlikely you have Hirschsprung disease. This condition 90% is diagnosed in infant years. It is at latest in childhood years this disease get diagnosed. Not saying it is impossible, but it is not likely.

That being said side from the test you mentioned has there been any other test like sitz marker test or anorectal manometry?

Lastly, have you consider a psychologist? As it seems this is causing quite of bit a emotional distress for you.
|

replied November 24th, 2013
Hi there. I don't think a sitz marker test or anorectal manometry has been done.

It has been causing a bit more distress lately and im quite upset today but im coping just talking to my husband and closest friend. I just feel my self esteem totally dropped last night particularly....the comment was just so harsh compared to usual... I just don't feel you should be left with an on going problem for years and for it just to be put down to constipation

While it would be rare I was diagnosed with constipation in 2004 when I was 16 and given laxatives since then. At that point I had to wipe my backside every time I went to the toilet and spent my whole childhood not understanding why I kept slightly staining my knickers etc it should have been helped way sooner just feel given my symptoms as a child and how bad it was by 16 the only reason I went to the doctor was because the stool finally teared me and made me bleed otherwise who knows
|

replied November 24th, 2013
Experienced User
There are four things I can really say.

Firstly, I am happy that you are able to confide in others. Nonetheless, I would still suggest seeing a psychologist.

Secondly, as to the diagnosis. The only conclusion I can really come to is that you might have a intestinal/gut motility disorder. However, testing needs to establish such a thing. Furthermore, it is a sitz marker test and a anorectal manometry that is usually can establish such a possibility.

Thirdly, by altering your diet you could probably reduce the smell of your farts. for example, by just avoiding red meats and complex carbohydrates such as sugar and starch you could probably reduce the smell by a relatively decent amount.

Lastly, as to getting a referral. There is two things first of all is keep pressuring your current doctor to get you that referral. Secondly, is to find a new doctor who takes your needs into consideration.

Best of luck.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....