User Profile
I had the Lap Band about 3 years ago, for the past year i have suffered with cronic constapation, iots of gas, and impacted bowels. I take ducolace and metamucial 3 times a day, also take enulose but still am cloged. Do i need a lower gi series or colonospany ? My P.C.P wont give me stright anwsers.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A9167

For constipation, it is important to check the consistence of the feces. Hard feces are typically found in constipation, but normal, soft feces might indicate decreased passage in the bowels. A small quantity of feces might indicate insufficient amounts of food taken.

There are many possible causes for constipation, including: insufficient intake of dietary fiber, dehydration, slower transit in the bowels or obstructed passage. The last might be caused by a tumor in the colon and that is definitely an indication for a colonoscopy. If your doctor does not agree, you might try to rule out a colon tumor with a fecal occult blood test and/or irrigography (x-ray of the colon with contrast).

Luckily, the other causes are less dangerous and a thorough examination might be needed to identify the cause. If nothing is found, your doctor might give a diagnosis of constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.