I have had chronic constipaton my whole life. I am 54 yrs old and in the last 8 months it has gotton extremly worst. I took all the meds have had several different test the 1st being a defecogram. That showed that I have a large enterocele as well as a rectocele. My Doctor thinks that they were cause by the constipaton. My next test was the sitz marker test which showed no mobility. I am going tomorrow to see a surgeon about the entrocele. I am debating on having a colectomy since I have tried everthing. I have been in pain most of my life from this, but I have become used to not going since I have always been this way. I just dont want to cause other problems such as going too much. I just dont know which is worst, any suggessios would be a great help. Thanks M, PS. I was diagnose with IBS my whole life ,My surgeon said to me after the mobility test he thinks I was misdianosed all that time!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 19th, 2013
Experienced User
large/small bowel resection is the surgical treatment for colonic inertia usually a small bowel resection is only needed. Furthermore, as far enterocele and rectocele go I understand them to essential be caused by the weakening of the bowel muscles which causes the bowels to move. This however, is usually caused by child birth as suppose to constipation. Accordingly, the bowel muscles themselves are usually the target for surgical treatment such as repairing the vaginal walls. I am assuming the surgeon is colo-rectal surgeon if not perhaps looking into that would be my suggestion. Otherwise I do think surgery is probably going to yield the best results for you.

Best of Luck
|

replied November 20th, 2013
Yes he is a colon rectal surgeon I have to go for another test dec 2, he wants to look at everything in the stomach. I really like him, he explained things in plain english. Thanks for response
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....