My daughter has always had intestinal problems. When she was 5 years old, her poop looked like it was incased in slimy green Nyquil. I told her doctor about this and he literally thought I was crazy. I brought in a sample and he was shocked. After running all kinds of tests which came back normal, he didn't have an explanation. She is now 19 years old, healthy (?), but doesn't poop more than once every one to two weeks. She is in good physical shape. Any answers?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

It is common for young individuals with a sedentary lifestyle, to develop issues like indigestion and ‎‎constipation‎.

Some tips, to improve her constipation, include -

Increasing the daily water and fluid consumption.

Including food with high fiber ‎content including:- ‎

‎ Foods Rich in SOLUBLE Fiber: Oatmeal or oat bran; Brown rice; Orange, grapefruit, green plantain

‎ Foods that can act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, ‎‎‎‎Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc. ‎

In addition, Taking time to have a bowel movement when you need to. Visit the toilet for 15 minutes in ‎‎the ‎‎morning, even if you are unable to have a bowel movement. This relaxes and stimulates your ‎‎digestive ‎‎system. ‎

Exercises like abdominal sit ups, crunches, etc, which will also help in improving the ‎‎digestion and the bowel motility.‎

Relaxation and stress management techniques. ‎

‎Proper dietary habits, regular meals, not missing meals and breakfast,etc. Sit quietly for 15 minutes ‎‎after eating a meal to aid in digestion.‎

‎Cessation of smoking and tobacco use, excess dependence on sodas, colas and caffiene.‎

Having lifestyle changes and adopting the above measures will help your daughter, get relief from her constipation.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.