Dr, I had chlamydia for the past 14years and have taken a lot of antibiotics but no relief. is it possible i can be cured
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 9th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
I am sorry I am not a doctor; you will need to post in the ask a doctor section and you might be lucky and have a reply from a doctor.

Chlamydia doesn't often have any symptoms other than perhaps an altered discharge until it causes possibly serious complications after a variable time.
To the best of my unqualified knowledge the infection is one of the easiest to treat if it is discovered early but the possible complications are my more difficult to treat and infertility could be the result. This makes routine testing very important if you aren't in an exclusive relationship.

If you are certain it is chlamydia you have and have been treated for numerous times I expect the antibiotics have cleared up the infection but you have quickly been reinfected. It is very important your partner is tested and treated at the same time and sexual activity is suspended for the duration of the treatment.

Taking lots of antibiotics is not a very good idea and it is important to complete the course of treatment fully each time or the infection will develop an immunity.

Antibiotics inevitably kill some of the body's friendly bacteria too so for a time after the treatment resistance to further infection is likely to be reduced.

You haven't given enough information about your sexual and medical history and sexual lifestyle to give an opinion about your question. Your own doctor, the doctor who knows you and your history well really is the best person to answer your question but any treatment you have will be completely wasted if your partner is not tested and treated at the same time. It is particularly important you do not have unprotected sex if you are not in an exclusive relationship and then only after you have both been tested and cleared.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Chlamydia is curable if recurrent exposure is hampered. For 14 years, look out for complications like PID , if so then management will be tough and complete cure might not be possible.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.