Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficeny

Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficeny in ms patients.

This is new research and may be very helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 21st, 2009
Dr. Zamboni is a vascular doctor at the University of Ferrara in Italy. In his studies, he came upon a unique situation to MS patients, a reflux of their brain/spinal blood. His team initiated a new study, based on his previous observations, was published December online Dec. 5th by JNNP.

The breakdown: 65 clinically defined MS patients and 235 controls (including healthy patients and those with other neurological disorders), blindly underwent a combined transcranial and extracranial Color-Doppler high-resolution examination (TCCS-ECD) aimed at detecting at least two of five parameters of anomalous venous outflow, blood flowing up and down the same vessel. (venous insufficiency seen by the eye are varicose veins on the legs.)

Zamboni's team found that in 100% of the patients with MS, and in 0% of the controls, something was blocking the blood vessels near the brain and/or spine (the jugular vein and the azygous vein), creating a reflux situation. They could see this in color on the doppler. Reflux is when blood cannot pass by an obstruction. This distends blood vessels, and allows for leakage. This reflux happened in MS patients, not the controls, no matter what position they were on the tilt board.

Zamboni's team found that the majority people with RRMS had blockage in the extra and intracranial area, and that those with PPMS had blockage in veins along the spinal column.
CCSVI, Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency, appeared only in patients with MS. None of the other neurologically diseased patients had this pattern

Zamboni does not define these blockages, or posit what these "venous obstructions" are, but they are in the blood vessels, and they are hampering the correct flow of blood in people with MS.

Immune modulating therapy did nothing to change vessel lesions or reflux bloodflow
|

replied May 31st, 2009
how can censoring medical information benefit anyone? pathetic
|

replied December 30th, 2010
I want to share that last month I had liberation in Varna Bulgaria. There, before the liberation I understood what's the meaning of the above information. The colour doppler which follows Prof. Zamboni's protocol actually gives the most accurate results in finding reflux in the brain and that's why its important to have the proper diagnostics done before the liberation itself. Reading in internet I was shocked to find that some clinics do liberation treatment without doppler at all or only with MRI. With my personal experience so far, what I would recommend if you decide to have liberation, before this to choose a place where they also do proper diagnostics, if possible with the doppler equipment following exactly Prof. Zamboni's protocol. I recommend this because while I had my treatment in Varna Bulgaria, there was an Italian woman who was there for liberation too. Thanks to the exact doppler examination the doctors discovered that she has problems with similar symptoms to MS, but no MS. This saved her trouble and money of course. So don't go blindly to just any liberation but read and choose, personally I am happy of my choice
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....