Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

chronic back pain and muscle spasms

Hello, I am a 22 year old female. I have had back pain ever since I was 12 and muscle spasms in my back since I was 16. When I brought this up to my pediatrician at the time she suggested I do exercises and stretches to help relieve the pain. I have had a fee xrays done on my back, two of which were done quite before I turned 18 and they both showed up normal. I had another xray taken by a chiropractor when I was 19 and I can't remember which parts of my spine were looked at but I do recall the chiropractor mentioning that something was being pinched. I had my back adjusted at least twice a month for a year after that but my back pain had been persistent and I gave up and dismissed this as something normal.

I don't recall any back injury that I can trace the back pain to, and I have tried taken over-the-counter pain relievers but that hasnt seem to have any effect. I have done the exercises and stretches but sometimes it causes muscle spasms. I ice my back when it is unbearable but most of the time the spasms...which range from right above my bum to between my shoulders...but that just gives my five minutes of relief. My spasms are becoming so frequent within the past year and rarely are so severe that I cannot move. It hurts for me to exhale deeply and sometimes the pain is so blinding my back feels numb.

Just this past month I had a spasm below my ribcage on the left side near my spine and now at that location it has this stabbing sharp pain to it. Whereas, the rest of my back has the dull achy pain (when spasm free). Is any of this normal? All the spasms? The acjes and pains? Suggestions, comments, anything.

Also, I apologize if any of this sounds incoherent I have a small issue with remembering things.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
Has anyone ever mentioned scoliosis (a sideways bending of the spine) or have you ever been screened for the condition
|

replied May 29th, 2013
I have been checked for scoliosis and I do not have it. At first that is what I thought the pain was probably from but during that age they check you for that almost every year. And I was told everything was normal.
|

replied May 29th, 2013
I have been checked for scoliosis and I do not have it. At first that is what I thought the pain was probably from but during that age they check you for that almost every year. And I was told everything was normal.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...