Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Chronic Abdominal Pain had CT scans, MRI, ultrasound...

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am a 44 year old woman, who has had chronic upper left abdominal pain for 4 years. I have had CT scans, MRI, ultrasound that have showed nothing is causing this pain. The pain is light in the morning when I wake up but increases throughout the day. I also, feel nauseous throughout the day. It does not appear to be triggered by food or drink. I have a cyst on my pancreas but have been informed that it is not the cause of the pain. I am at wits end. I have had two separate nerve blocks and take Cymbalta for the pain, it helped for awhile but I am right back to beginning again. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2012

Welcome to ehealthforum

Chronic abdominal pain with associated nausea can be due to:
1)The first possibility is of Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy.

2)The second possibility is of pancreatitis as it may cause upper left abdominal pain which is worse when bending over or sitting. Pancreatic enzymes like serum amylase and lipase should be measured to rule out any pancreatic cause.Cyst might not cause the pain but inflammation of the organ can.

3)The last possibility is of any kidney stones which may present as such sharp pain

I suggest you to consult a Physician and get pancreatic enzymes, upper GI endoscopy to rule out any peptic ulcers.

Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.