Medical Questions > Relationships > Ending a Relationship Forum

Choosing school over boyfriend?

User Profile
I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half. I first saw him in the UK but before anything really started I had to move to Australia with my family. We "internet dated" from then and still are now. When I first moved I was heavily into drugs and failing school and eager to go home to the UK. Mostly due to the boyfriend I've straightened up, quit drugs, and going really suprisingly well at school (A's or B's mostly).

All he talks about is how great it'll be when I finish my last year of high school this year and come back to the UK to be with him. I don't want this anymore at all.

I have a relationship with my family here and none with the family in the UK
I have a brilliant job that I've managed to hold down for longer than any I used to have.
I have a group of friends who I love that are all sober in reguards to drugs and finally feel accepted by the people around me.

The university courses here are amazing compared to the ones back home, and a lot cheaper too. Now that I'm actually sobered up and trying in school Iknow I can get into them.

I want to pick School over him. I want to pick Australia over him. But I love him.
I don't know how to end it, everytime I try to he manages to talk me out of it, instead of taking my reasons he works out a way to undermind them and basically strip me of any way to explain that this is what I want.

I need advice please, how do I end it what are some sure fire ways to stop a relationship?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 8th, 2008
Experienced User
im in a similar problem myself. my bf did a lot for me, but now with school, i cant focus on our love anymore. i cant focus on ANY love. its giving me a lot of stress and hes the best game partner but i know i cant have this anymore.. coz of stress i get sexed by my friend (i didnt want it but was terribly horny and culdnt find a way to refuse him). i just want my friend to be happy but im giving him the wrong things.. (and some guy on this forum's condemning me for that, saying i have no morals and blabla)

i just want out. single life. more time for friends, more time for school, more time for my *school life* and *private life*
im scared he ll cry.. and hes too nice but i dont know how to say i dont feel the love any more coz i m too preoccupied with my life
|

Extremely eHealthy
Rolling Eyes

to the original poster..i say good for you for choosing an education over a guy that things may or may not work out with, i always say honesty is the best policy..let him know how you really feel..tell him you're happy where you are..you dont necessarily have to completely end the relationship..if you do love him as you say long distance is always a possibility..its HARD but..if you both want it..it can work..my boyfriend were long distance for 8 months...we aren't any longer but we've been together now just over 2 years..so it can work out! If you do want to be with him..consider talking to him about that...but put your foot down and tell him you're happy where you are and if he respects you then he'll respect your decision...good luck to you and i hope things work out for the best!
|

Experienced User
FYI I did manage to get him to accept the breakup after telling him my plight, he has a stable income and job and will get his diploma soon i have nothing.. and want to work for it..so i need to focus on my LIFE.. and told him he is a big burden to my life.. and so he has no choice but to accept it... even tho we love each other..
|