Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Cholinergic Urticaria treatment (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Okay, I have had CU for about 8 years now. It has varied in it's severity but never goes away. I had tried everything, doctors are useless just prescribing antihistamines and saying I have to live with it, well that wasn't an option for me, I tried naturopathic and holistic approaches which helped but didn't get rid of CU.

I decided I was going to fix this myself so after extensive research on the internet (I love the internet!) first I did the Master Cleanse detox which after 12 days knocked down my rash to almost nothing but when I started eating normally my CU came right back. I then did an elimination diet to look for a specific food that was causing the CU and found that any foods that contained sugar made my CU symptoms worse, this was any sugars complex(carbohydrates) or simple sugars.

After researching what symptoms are worsened by sugar I came across a yeast/fungal infection (Candida) that feeds off sugar...... at first I was like this can't be it yeast infections usually only effect women and have different symptoms. But everything else seemed to fit with me, especially since my CU symptoms first started after I was really sick and took antibiotics which is known to kill good bacteria which leads to yeast/fungal infection.

So for 3 weeks now I have removed food that contain sugar from my diet and have been taking anti fungal medicine (there are tons of natural ones like garlic, goldenseal, coconut oil, olive oil, black walnut) Just look up antifungal or candida cures and you'll find lots of stuff. Or there is medicine for candida that contain a mixture of anti fungal ingredients. Also you need to replace the bad fungal bacteria you kill off with good bacteria from probiotics (found naturally in yogurt).

Anyway, I am about 99% rid of my CU. I hardly ever feel any symptoms, I can still feel it in my body when I heat up but it never starts hurting or itching, I think I can knock this thing out completely if I maintain this approach. Several different sites said to permanently getting rid of Candida/fungal infections can take 3-4 months, before you can go back to eating normally.

While this approach hasn't been easy or fun it has totally been worth if for me and I really hope this is what is causing CU for other of you suffering from this crappy condition and you can rid yourself of it. No one should have to live with CU and have doctors just shrug if off and try to cover it up with anti-histamines.

Sorry at how long this post was, I will post again after a few weeks with an update. If anyone wants to talk to me more about this let me know and we can talk over email. I'm not crazy if this post makes me seem that way, I was just tired of living with CU and want to help out others if possible. I was going to wait to post until it was completely cured but it is close enough now that I think it's worth posting something.

Good luck, I hope this will help someone else relieve their CU.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marvelousmarigold
|
Users who thank w1a5r for this post: burnsideo7 

replied July 28th, 2008
Thank you for posting your experiences
Hi,

I am a 43 year old guy that has suffered from the same experiences you've described for about a year now. I had other skin sensitivities for about 12 years before this (red, flushed face, itchy back), but things really broke out last February after a bad sinus infection treated with antibiotics. I had rashes on my back, my arms, my neck, my face and in the center of my chest above my sternum. I'm a professional singer and my voice was even affected by this condition. Eating anything with sugar in it can really make things bad for me now. Problem is - I love sugar and I keep falling off the wagon and this screws me up big time. I'd like to discuss this with you over email when you are available.

Thanks,
Curt Peters
Livonia, MI
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2014
Hello to all with this affliction. I recently started with the same symptoms you are experiencing for the last 4 weeks. After speaking to my doctor she suggested Benadryl as an antihistamine if it helped me to sleep, and then Claritin for daily use. She said my urticaria was either due to stress and or new food or new products I could be trying out at home. Both Benadryl and Claritin have REALLY worked for me. The random itchiness and burning sensations were driving me mad. Hope this helps someone out there. Smile
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Is it true?
w1a5r, thanks for the advice. Forgive my suspicion, for on the internet, you need to question whether what you read is from a real honest person, or from a parricide (and there are MANY) who is trading with people's pain, and trying to sell some probably useless and/or harmful assumingly cleansing products? !!!
How can I correspond with you?

Did anybody else tried this approach?
|

replied August 19th, 2009
w1a5r, Sorry for my previous post, I thought you added the links to those cleansing products. Obviously it is THIS site that changes certain words into links, for advertisement purposes!!!
You offered correspondence, how can I contact you?
Thanks, and good luck.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
How did the sugar elimination diet go - long term success?
Hi there,

I've also had cholinergic urticaria for 5 years. I've been taking Xyzal as prescribed by a consultant dermatologist (which really helped to keep the symptoms at bay and allowed me to exercise) but I've had to come off it as I wish to conceive. As a result I'm hideously uncomfortable and I'm keen to take action myself as the medical profession seems to be woefully lacking in answers. Have you continued with the sugar-elimination/yeast elimination diet? Did it have long term results or provide only temporary relief? I do crave sugary foods (such as fruit etc.) much more than your average person so this could make sense.
I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how it worked for you?
Thanks,
Julie, London
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
How did the sugar elimination diet go - long term success?
Hi there,

I've also had cholinergic urticaria for 5 years. I've been taking Xyzal as prescribed by a consultant dermatologist (which really helped to keep the symptoms at bay and allowed me to exercise) but I've had to come off it as I wish to conceive. As a result I'm hideously uncomfortable and I'm keen to take action myself as the medical profession seems to be woefully lacking in answers. Have you continued with the sugar-elimination/yeast elimination diet? Did it have long term results or provide only temporary relief? I do crave sugary foods (such as fruit etc.) much more than your average person so this could make sense.
I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how it worked for you?
Thanks,
Julie, London
|

replied February 20th, 2010
I am actually doing an elimination diet for my son who has had chronic uticaria for almost a year. He is 10 and it began unexpectedly after a day of swimming. Dairy and sugar seem to make it worse but tested for Candida and it came back negative. Any similiar experiences, elimination diet is working very well. I believe it the food but just can't pin point it. No allergies. Any similiar experiences?

Jen
|

replied April 6th, 2010
Sorry I haven''t replied. I found something that worked for me and stopped coming to this forum which was very rude and selfish.

So after my several months of trying to get rid of my CU it came down to sugar and exercise that''s it (at least for me). Unfortunately I could not find a way to rid myself of CU and I still have it today.

However it is pretty easily controlled for me by the right balance of exercise and limiting sugar in my diet. This combination so to speak puts my CU in remission where I don''t feel it at all. Well unless I stop exercising or eating too much sugar then it comes back. I know exercising can be tough since that brings on the CU and it is very painful. What I did was removed almost all sugar from my diet for a few weeks to get the CU reaction down so the exercising didn''t hurt as much. Then exercised until my CU was gone completely. From there I gradually introduced sugar back in my diet until I found the point where the CU started to come back and this was my balance point.

I don''t know if this will work for everyone but it works for me and since it''s probably a good way to live your life anyway I have accepted this as my cure. I hope this process will help someone since I know how terrible and life altering CU can be. Good Luck!
|

replied May 28th, 2010
cu
i have cu and i went to a doctor and she said it was alergies ive only had this for 5months what do i do

rudy, san antonio texas
|

replied September 30th, 2010
Re: cu
rudy22fb wrote:
i have cu and i went to a doctor and she said it was alergies ive only had this for 5months what do i do

rudy, san antonio texas

Hi, I just wanted to share a few things i'm going to be trying to cure me of ciu, not sure if it'l work yet but if there's anything i can mention that may help anyone out there I'd be really pleased to help you as i know how emotionally and physically draining this can be.
I have been suffering with ciu for 9 weeks now, it seemed to have started around the time i had a water infection and took antibiotics. The only other links i can make would be stress and i was taking an anti depressant called venlafaxine. Other than this i have no idea what could have caused this awful illness.
It started out as just a rash type thing, a few red rings here and there, then i got a bit itchy and my face just all of a sudden swelled up, my lips were huge and i could hardly see my eyes were so puffy. I ended up having an adrenaline injection to take down the swelling and was given, as im sure most of u have been, antihistamines and a 7 day course of steroids.
Since then i have been to my dr's 17 times, hospital 6 times and all they can do is give me the exact same things and one dr even told me im going to just have to except that sumtimes there just isnt an answer!
So after being put on 6 courses of prednisilone, all kinds of antihistamines, injections etc, ive had enough!
My hair has started to fall out badly and thats the last straw.
Everytime i go on steriods its ok for a few days coz they mask whats lurking and then when i come off them each time i get worse, the antihistamines dont really do a thing for me. Steriods only weaken your immune system and leave u more vunerable to illness etc and the side effects OF STOPPING the steriods that corcern me are loss of hair, fever, joint pain,inflamation of the eyes lips etc and best of all PAINFUL AND ITCHY SKIN LUMPS!!!! ive suffered all these things coming off them.
Im pretty annoyed i ever took the horrid things in the first place but as ive never heard of such a thing as ciu before i just did what the dr told me and assumed id get better, i couldnt be more wrong, they just give u them to shut u up and send u away with a tempory relief as they dont know what else to do!
Anyway i brought a book from a lady who has suffered with this for 25yrs and managed to cure herself naturally by doing a few things, i thought id share them with u guys and not make u have to pay!
Step one GET tested for coeliac disease, a wheat and gluten intolerance, my dad and bro have this so im currently waiting to have a biopsy at the moment and i have noticed that staying off the wheat and gluten helps a little but it can take months to get out of ur system! So i have to be patient, also my bloods for this came back negative, but so did my dads and many other people i know until they had the biopsy done then they were truely diagnosed. look up coeliac disease symptoms as there are loads of things u may have that u probably wouldnt even think of that go with having that, such as suffering from mouth ulcers, depression etc.
Step two, stay away from all the junk antihistamines and steriods, the first few days will more than likely be hell but u have to go through this to rid ur body of all the toxins etc, atm im on day three and ive almost wanted to die its been that unbarable but i know that in a month to two months as the book says i could be totally rid of my ciu, and there is such thing as a die off period where the body just releases all the rash etc out to get rid of it, gets worse before it gets better type thing, so right now il try anything! Instead drink 1.5 to 2 ltrs of FILTERED or MINERAL water everyday and for the rest of your life and take 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar (containing the mother, its cloudy sediment containing all the goodness, order online, must contain mother and be unpasturised organic etc) everyday twice a day. Add them to a glass of water or organic untouched apple juice if u cant bare the taste, and drink first thing in the morning before breakfast and before bed. Look up all of its healing properties, its really good for the immune system.
Step three, do a mini detox to speed up the process, day one and two only filtered water, day 3 add fruit, day four little and often portions of organic healthy food, non processed, frozen, etc, brown rice, fish , chicken, potatoes, veg etc AVOID ALL FOODS CONTAINING WHITE FLOUR, WHEAT AND GLUTEN.
step 5 take vitamin D3, vit c everyday and add herbs and spices that are good for anti inflamatory and healthy immune to ur foods such as turmeric, ginger, devils and cat claw, cayenne pepper, cloves, golden seal, parsley and licorice (root).
Get fresh air and exercise daily and avoid smoking and alcohol.
Anyway sorry I've gone on so long but i really do hope this may help sumone out there, go natural, get healthy again and beat this, try to stay positive, i know thats easier said than done. It could all be worth it in the end so give try it, give it 1-2 months and hopefully u may get rid of ur urticaria for good! Smile
I will update to let u know how im getting on. Smile
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Cholinergic "Crapola" Urticaria
Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with CU today after suffering for 3 months. My allergist gave me Fexaphenadine. He said it doesn't cause drowsiness and will make my life pretty normal. He said alcohol and yellow #5, ibuprophen, aspirin and naprosen are triggers as well as anything that raises your body temp. He said it could last 2 years however I have read many times over today that it can last up to 30 years. Very strange and mysterious condition. I know alcohol is a trigger for me. Also started taking cooler showers. I am going to pay close attention to the triggers in my life and try to avoid them. Stress is a big one for me too. Best wishes to all. I believe we are all the same but probably some triggers are different for some people than others. Best wishes...hope this helps someone.
|

replied June 5th, 2012
I found this by googling and it has motivated me so much to so that I have now started as well with the master cleanse. Im now on Day 1 and I didnt believe it would be that hard. What I dont really understand is that the yeast infection and therefore the Urticaria was driven by sugar intake, however, a main component of the master cleanse is the maple syrup, which effectively is sugar - so how the yeast infection and urticaria heal albeit having the sugar intake from the syrup?

Thanks again so much for posting this.
|

replied June 6th, 2012
The Master Cleanse, while I think is a good thing never really cured my CU. The reason why I believe it went away at the end of the cleanse was that I was exercising a lot at the same time. Even though the cleanse uses maple syrup the amount of actual sugar intake verses the amount I exercised I believe was still enough to lessen the CU. But like I said personally I think my solution was to limit the amount of simple sugars I ate and to exercise frequently.

My CU has actually gone away now. I have been CU free for about a year now. I have no idea why. I did P90X straight through without missing a day which I am sure helped but after that I broken leg and could not exercise for several months and it never came back.

I am sorry for anyone who has to deal with CU. I know how much it can put a damper your life. I hope all you find a solution that works for you. Don't give up, I truly believe that there is a solution out there for everyone.
|

replied April 29th, 2014
Hi,
I also have CU and I found your post really motivating.
I just wanted to ask you more questions , firstly about the master cleanse, what is this exactly?
And secondly about exercising, I used to be really sporty and athletic and since 6 months now I have barely done anything as I get hives and all that even when I take a longer walk. what type of exercise did you do, wouldn't you have a reaction to sweat and effort?

I really appreciate an answer as I am willing to try anything to get rid of CU.

Many thanks,
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Thanks a lot for your reply.

This made a lot of sense and I started googling to find a more appropriate diet for Candida and found It's very helpful and I'm following the 7day diet (stage 1) now.

I suffer from physical urticaria for 14 years now, where scratches on my skin will cause itchy hives. Additionally my skin is very itchy the more coffee, sugar and other candida-growing products I use, so the intake of those products creates a vicious cycle. Also, after few years my skin developed yeast fungus on my neck, lower back, arm pits and now recently even in my face, which was the point where I said no further.

Doctors are useless with urticaria. I have already a long time ago given up trying to seek help from them on my urticaria. Back in Germany where I'm from I was told I had to live with it and it might dissappear after few years. So I waited for it to disappear - until the yeast fungus spread on my skin. I then went to a special dermatologist hospital where the rashes where dignoased as yeast fungals. However they only gave me antiobiatoics and an acid lotion which helped temporarily to cure the external symptoms. When the fungal now few months ago spread further onto my face I saw a doctor here in London hoping to get similar medicine as I got from the hospital in Germany, but the first doctor here diagnosed that it would be from shaving (I know insane no?!) even though I told him I'm not shaving my back and neck and I know what it actually is. When I got back to the practise and saw a different doctor, telling her that more lotioning on the skin didnt not do the job, she diagnosed it as yeast fungal and I finally got similar products as I got back in Germany, however much weaker and they didnt help so much.

Having done some research afterwards I finally started seeing the connection of candida-growing food making my yeast fungal and urticaria worse simultaneously. I'm sure if I wouldn't do anything now it would just grow further.

I'm now on Day2 on the candida diet, having switched yesterday morning from the master cleanse to the candida diet and the hives have already become smaller, which motivates me keep going even though I find the fasting incridibly difficult and I can hardly deal with my cravings but my will to get healthy again is bigger so far. I have also ordered the "Candida Clear" from NOW which I believe you were refering to in your original post as anti-fungal medicine.

I'll keep you posted how it goes and thanks again for sharing your experiences and being around even years later.
|

replied September 2nd, 2012
I have the same problem. I have tried to reduce sugar, and I think it has helped a little. I haven't started regular execising though. Another thing I found is that when I have a cup of green tea, it goes away. But it does come back later during day. I have a cup again and it goes away. I am thinking of having three cups a day and see if it can be controlled, but at this stage, I am convinced that there is an effect.
|

replied September 13th, 2012
Hi i have been suffering from CU for 9 years, just now am going off refinded sugars and gluten. Do we REALLY have to go off fruit and all other natural sugars? Going off refinded sugars and gluten is already a lot for me and its hard to imagine cutting out fruit. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?
|

replied September 13th, 2012
Hi i have been suffering from CU for 9 years, just now am going off refinded sugars and gluten. Do we REALLY have to go off fruit and all other natural sugars? Going off refinded sugars and gluten is already a lot for me and its hard to imagine cutting out fruit. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?
|

replied October 11th, 2012
I have found, stay off berries and stone fruit, but cantaloupe, watermelon and pears are ok. Have loads of water. I have no refined or canned or bottled food, nuts or any sugary foods, only fresh or fresh cooked foods, loads of salads, soups and stir fries. I stay away from tomatoes, and dairy and carbs too.
I supplement with Chia and Linseed (Flaxseed) Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Acai Juice and a mix of Nettle and Green fresh tea. If I need a chocolate fix, I have Pure Cacoa mixed with hot water with stevia. I hate being so restricted, but there is still plenty I can eat. I take a long walk everyday and have a calm mind, I find all this helps too.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 5th, 2012
Yes, I have CU also- I noticed it became excessively activated when I applied Cocoa butter cream on my body- the pain was excrutiating- the hospital had no idea what to do- I am in Australia- I then googled and found that many people are allergic to cocoa. In my opinion, when the body's immune system is lower, you start to become allergic to many foods as the body reacts negatively- so I just coverup well in the sun and avoid going out during peak temperatures till my body hopefully strengthens- yes, it is awful if one is used to be being in the sun tanning...even salt water I need to avoid....anyone come across good sunscreens?
|

replied January 13th, 2013
Cholinergic Urticaria
I have been dealing with similar symptoms for several years already. Every time I researched my symptoms it came up as heat rash. It is not until this couple of days that I started reading about CU. I am going to try the advise about sugar diet and n look for fungal medicine. I need a relief because it gets tiring, not being able to do anything. I would like to be able to contact you see how everything is working out with CU.
|

replied January 16th, 2013
I have been suffering from Cholinergic Uticaria for the past 8 years. This past year it got to the point where I would break out in hives after blushing! Then the blushing would make me even more hot and embarrassed, and my reaction would get even worse! I recently had great luck using medicinal herbs and flower essences and ceasing to drink coffee. I started taking freeze dried Nettles capsules (Urtica dioica) Eclectic Institute brand. Nettles is a wonderful anti-histiminic herb, and the freeze dried nettles is more concentrated than making tea. So, I have been taking 2 capsules a day for the past month. Then, last week I started taking taking 2 in the a.m. and increasing to one more an hour before I exercised (or had a stressful event approaching) and one capsule immediately before the event. I think this helped a lot, but what has helped the most is drinking yarrow tea (Achillea millefolium). Yarrow is a diaphoretic, which opens the pores and makes you sweat. My biggest problem was my heat not being able to leave. My "cooling system" was compromised. Drinking yarrow tea all day helped me be able to sweat effectively and avoid the terrible hives and welts I had been suffering from for years-woo hoo!!! I combined a small handful of dried yarrow flowers with the same amount of dried nettles leaves in a quart jar. Then I poured near boiling water over herbs, covered with lid, and let steep over night. I strained in the morning and drank it all day. Yarrow is a bitter herb and can be unpleasant at first. You could add honey or experiment with amount of yarrow in tea blend. You could also add peppermint which is a pleasant tasting diaphoretic! In addition to that, I began taking flower essences of fireweed and garlic. Flower essences are kind of like homeopathy but are used to treat energetic and emotional issues. They are very dilute and safe taken with any medicine, in pregnancy, and for children/pets/elderly. Garlic is for "stage fright" and fireweed for trapped heat. Anyway, this helped me after TWO days! If you don't have access to or interest in flower essences, just drinking the herbal tea should suffice. Dried herbs are available from many co-ops and online from mountain rose herbs (also found in fields and yards everywhere!). I ordered my nettles capsules from amazon. I am also a certified herbalist, energy healer, flower essence practitioner and currently in nursing school. Anyway, I am thrilled to have found some relief and I wanted to share it with you all. Thanks and good luck!!
|

replied May 25th, 2016
Thank you so much for this information. As a menopausal woman, the flashes combined with UC was making my life unbearable. I will try nettles and yarrow and hopefully find relief since the antihistamines have not worked for me.

Thanks again,
|