Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

cholestoral and heart disease

been on lipitor for 20 years , from10mg to 40mg.heart attack back in oct 2012. quadruple bypass.all going great but statin was changed to crestor, first 10mg now 3 days of 20mg. pains and aches and fatigue unbearable ? what to do
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 21st, 2013
Experienced User
Let me see if I understand you correctly.

1. You have been taking Lipitor for 20 years.
2. It failed to prevent a heart attack after 20 years.
3. You had to have Bypass surgery anyway.
4. You are now suffering from statin side effects.

What should you do?

Let me ask you a question. If the statin failed to protect you in the first 20 years, what makes you think it will protect you in the next 20 years?
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. These pain and aches are side effects of statins and other age associated risk factors too. Treatment should be supportive and symptomatic. Low doses of escitalopram will help .

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

replied January 18th, 2018
Experienced User
Cholesterol is a soft, fat-like substance found in the blood and in all the body’s cells. When it builds in the inner walls of your arteries over time, it hardens and turns into plaque. That plaque can narrow the artery walls and reduce blood flow, which you guessed it, can cause blocks that can lead to blood clots, heart attacks or strokes.
|
Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.