Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

chlamydia test - false positive Or false negative reasons?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
Recently I had my annual paps done, they took a swab test during my check up and a few days later called and told me I tested positive for chlamydia. It just didn't seem right so before I took any antibiotics I got tested at another clinic and they also did the swab. They told me I tested negative for it. Just in case, I went to one more clinic they used a urine test & they also said I tested negative. I went back to the clinic that I tested positive in and they said it's very unlikely that it was a false positive & more likely for a false negative. I tested again at this clinic and I'm waiting for the results. What could have been the reason that I tested false positive? Or what would be reasons why I tested false negative TWICE?! Could it be any medicine that can interfere? What about feminine products?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2011
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A27029
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

It is possible to get false positive or false negative results with the standard tests for Chlamydia. Hence it would be wise to repeat the tests. Else you can opt for specific tests for Chlamydia which include Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT, to find the genetic material of Chlamydia), Nucleic acid hybridization tests (DNA probe test, Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA, EIA), Direct fluorescent antibody test (DFA) or chlamydia culture.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.