Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

childhood constipation on laxatives. Nothing to try?

Please help! My daughter is getting constipated on daily laxatives, seeing peds GI doc. Bloodwork normal, MRI normal, colonic transit normal. 10-15 gm fiber/day, 40-70 oz fluid per day, regular sit times, regular toileting, weekend cleanouts with magnesium citrate. We had a hospital clean out too. She has daily bowel movements for the most part. Have already tried eliminating dairy with no improvement. Our GI has told us there is nothing else to try and now have a 3 month follow up. Can you please advise anything else we can try?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The exact cause for constipation needs to be looked for to be able to treat the underlying cause. She will require lifestyle modifications and diet changes to have better relief. Include high fiber foods in her diet or request for prescription for fiber supplement to help her. For further clarification and assistance, take opinion from a gastroenterologist.
Take care.

|

replied July 18th, 2014
Normal doctors never take "this stuff" seriously - I recommend you see a gastroenterologist every time there's a bowelissue.
I think it's safer overall to use enemas for the weekly cleanout if one is needed (they don'taffect the "digestive" part of the system).
|

replied July 18th, 2014
Normal doctors never take this seriously - I recommend you see a gastroenterologist every time there's a bowelissue.
I think it's safer if you use enemas for the weekly cleanout, assuming one is needed (they don't affect the "digestive" part of the system).
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.