I'm at my wits end with this. We have seen pediatricians, psychologists, and neurologists and have yet to have someone diagnose this issue.

My 9 year old daughter rocks her head off and on throughout the day and has been doing so since she was about 8 months old.

It is mostly from side to side but she occasionally does it up and down.

When I tell her to stop it is almost like she has no idea she is doing it. She does it in the car, when sitting still, while watching tv, while dancing in her recitals, you name it. It's like there is no pattern to when she does it.

She is socially accepted. She has good grades. She doesn't have any anger issues or tantrums. She is otherwise a seemingly normal child.

However, she does seem a bit spacey and is often slow to complete tasks. She is sluggish most of the time.

I have no idea what can be done to help her stop this. She's getting to the age where I'm afraid she will be ridiculed for this. Everyone notices it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2016
If she is physically in normal health and all medical tests including EEG has ruled out seizure disorders, then it is more likely that she has a behavior disorder.

You need to continue counselling with a child psychologist, which can help her. Though it may take time to see results, you should be patient and give time for the issue to be resolved.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.