User Profile
i work all day and my son goes to day care. me and my husband areb having a second child and the day care payment will be too high!!! my husband is epileptic and i don not feel comfortable leaving our newborn and 3yr old son with him all day!! im tryin to get help for day care but ccps wants a letter from a doctor stating that he can not watch the children. again i do not feel comfortable because he does not have no warning when his seizures happen. i need help!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2010
Epilepsy Answer A12544
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned that you cannot leave your newborn son and a 3 year old son to your epileptic husband whole day long when you are off to work since he is not having any warning signs when his seizures happen.
Persons with well-controlled epilepsy have no restrictions on child care, but those with episodes of impaired consciousness or control of movement must take special precautions when caring for a baby or a young child.
If possible, your husband having seizures with no warning should not bathe the baby alone. The baby should be placed in a safely designed baby bath and transferred to and from the bath relatively close to the floor. If the baby bath is placed inside a larger tub, the drain should be open. The room where the bath is given should be carpeted if possible.
Your husband having seizures with no warning should be extremely careful when carrying the baby. That is not to say that father with epilepsy should not carry a baby, but care must be exercised.Diaper changing by a father who is at risk of having a seizure is best done on the floor or on a low, soft surface where the baby would be safe from falling.
Your newborn baby and 3 year toddler is better off sleeping in their own crib and bed respectively. There is a chance the child could be injured if the father had a seizure, especially a tonic-clonic seizure, while sleeping.
Your 3 year old son should not go out alone with his father unless somebody accompanies them because walking or playing near a busy street with an impulsive, active 3-year-old could be potentially dangerous if the father had a complex partial seizure. During the minute or two of the father's impaired consciousness, the child's ball could bounce into the street and the child might run after it. Although events such as this are rare, it is worthwhile to consider ways of reducing the risk.
Missed medications, sleep deprivation, and stress can aggravate seizures. For new parents, some sleep deprivation and stress are unavoidable, and dramatic changes in the daily schedule can easily lead to missed medications. It is important to recognize these potential problems and plan to reduce their impact. Caring for a baby is stressful and asking family members or others to help is a good idea.You can discuss all the above factors with your doctor for safety consideration.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.