Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Chilblaines This I believe is due to poor circulation.

In Winter in suffer with chilblaines on the fingers. This I believe is due to poor circulation. My pharmacist suggested Niacin tablets to help with improving circulation but this does not help. I've done some research on the Internet and it has been suggested that Ginko Biloba helps with circulation and is good for Chilblaines. There has even been an article -see below for Chilblaines

mix 1 tspoon mustard powder with 250ml turpentine , leave standing for 24
hrs and shake 3 or 4 times over the 24 hrs , strain through muslin cloth ,
apply 3 times per day with cottonwool , rub in well ( not for use on broken
skin ) , allow 1 week for results

It would be appreciated if someone can advise me on what to use to relief the chilblaines as well as preventing these from recurring
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2012
A history of chilblains is suggestive of a connective tissue disease. All that I know to do is to keep toes and fingers warm as possible in cool weather. I found the best socks in the world at basspro shop which are wool and super thick and have a lifetime warranty. Super soft and not itchy like old school wool and can be machine washed. Now if I could only find gloves that would be warm enough but thin enough I could type and such.
My prob is that my raynauds is secondary (to what we don't know yet) and I have all kinds of circulatory issues going on and my raynauds co-exists with Erythromelalgia or "Mitchell's Disease" so its like I can't win. Can't get them too hot or too cold. Weird.
As far as prevention, besides investing in some great wool socks and avoiding tight fitting shoes or anything else that impedes circulation, start walking more, doing hand and foot stretches or exercises that improve circulation. Severe cases sometimes require vasodilation medications to help with circulation.
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Hi Melindy

Thanks for the information. I've done a lot of research myself. Its only when one suffers from some form of ailment, that one becomes very knowledgeable. I exercise 4 -5 times a week,but this on its own does not help. Wearing warm socks and woolen gloves definately helps (if you need to type on your PC or Laptop-get some woolen mittens). About a month ago I started taking Cayenne capsules and this has helped tremendously. I take these in the morning after breakfast (one can take these 2-3 times a day after food). One can purcchase these at any health store or pharmacist. i've tried many other things, but this is by far the best

All the best
|
Quick Reply