I am new to Lupus and I am still trying to understand all of it. I am having bad chest pains. I had them the other day and my doctor said to go to the er so I did and they could not find anything. And tonight they are really bad. Can you tell me if there is anything I can do to help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rss
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Lupus and Chest pain
Hello...

are you taking any drugs for the Lupus? Sometimes, I get heart or chest pain and heart racing from the steriods and Imuran.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
chest pains
I am taking hydroxychloroquine. Since I sent that question, I have been doing better with not having as many episodes of chest pains. I realized that when I would start to feel them I just needed to lay down and rest. This disease is difficult. Now I am having an extremely hard time trying to figure out why I am feeling sick on a constant basis. I sleep 14 hour nights and then when I wake up, not even an hour or two will go by and I feel like vomiting. The past couple of weeks I can't stay out of the bathroom, (sorry for being so descriptive), but it is really bad. Do you know if the medication is why I am going to the bathroom like that? How long have you had lupus? Do or have you ever experienced any of these symptoms and if so, how did you deal with them?
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Dealing with the symptoms
Yes I can relate to those symptoms but it all shall past. Everyone reacts to the medicine differently and you should tell your doctor your symptoms so they can regulate to a combination of medicines that can keep you pain free throughout the day. Another very important option is to keep a healthy diet. I have gone vegan after 5 years of going in and out of the hospital and experiencing awful symptoms. I have seen a dramatic change and my doctor has noticed as well. Since you are fairly new to the disease, I would suggest educating yourself on holistic and nutritional methods of healing. Your doctor will most definetly be against it but with you being on only one medication, the benefits will be greater for you. Let me know if you need help.
A Friend
|

replied May 9th, 2010
LUPUS & CHEST PAIN
I am 57 years old and have had many lupus symptoms since childhood, but was only diagnosed with lupus a couple of years ago as my labwork always comes back negative. I finally found a rheumatologist who would treat my symptoms rather than the labwork. I have had chest pain off and on ever since I had my first severe case of pericarditis 28 years ago when I was about 29 years old. The pain was severe for months, radiated into my neck and down my left arm so much so that my left arm was numb for six months. Even after the worst of the symptoms cleared up, I continued to have significant chest pain. My internist concluded that I had mitral valve prolapse and put me on a series of beta blockers, but I had such bad side effects he took me off those and told me just to take aspirin and rest whenever I would get the pain. The pain has continued off and on for 28 years. I have tried to get an answer from a number of doctors, but no one has been able to explain it or cared to even try to pursue it. After another bout of pericarditis with pneumonia in 2005, a cardiologist informed me that I actually do NOT have mitral valve prolapse, but still couldn''t explain the pain. The pain is often just to the left of my sternum/ breastbone, or it can hurt really bad right in the middle of my back, like some very strong man has slugged me with a doubled-up fist right in the middle of my back. Occasionally it radiates to my left shoulder or into my neck. The thing I have noticed over the years is that the pain seems to occur when the barometric/atmospheric pressure is high or unstable, as when a storm system is moving through the area. As soon as I feel twinges of pain, I start taking aspirin and get as much rest as I can, to manage the symptoms. My theory is that my body is inclined to accumulate excess fluid in the pericardial sac around the heart, which makes it sensitive to the atmospheric pressure changes. My current cardiologist agreed that this could be the explanation, but still has not pursued trying to nail down an answer. He did do a battery of tests (EKG, ultrasound, stress test) to rule out cardiovascular disease. My rheumatologist put me on Plaquenil, but I had an allergic reaction to it, so cannot take it. I feel that my chest pain is not related to any medication but is related to the lupus itself. I have tried to find information on this or others who have experienced chest pain as part of their lupus, so far without luck. Have you gotten any more information from your doctor? Are you still experiencing the pain? For me, it comes and goes.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
I have the chest pain as well. I was diagnosed with costochondritis. It is extremely painful and scary as well. Try using warm low heat. But ask your doctor about that. Hope you feel better soon.
|
Tags: lupus
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....