Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

chest pains and asthma back at 22

So lately now pretty much every day I've been having chest pains. It seems to have started around my heart, and in a few days I had a major shortness of breath, and at night was getting really scared of not being able to breath. The asthma kind of went away after a few days but I still went to the hospital to see about getting an inhaler again since I had asthma as a kid and was still worried about the chest pain. I told the doctor I was worried about it being heart related and he asked if I wanted to do an EKG, so I did that, and he said it seemed fine but I just have some sort of arrhythmia that might be associated with my breathing, so I guess my asthma could be bothering my heart? (my mom and her dad also have had heart problems) Anyway I'm still having chest pains and and acute aches in my chest. It's really worrying me, it's been a daily thing for a bit now and sometimes I feel light headed. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2012
The heart is normally in the middle of the chest, and when you say that you have had chest pains "around my heart" I don't know where the pains are located. Also, you don't describe the pains - how long they last, what they feel like, what brings them on, what relieves them, does position affect them, are they affected by breathing, your habits, you work, family history, etc.
Chest pains are not usually related to bronchial asthma, nor are they related to most abnormal heart rhythms. Some chest aching can be related to breathing problems.
It is true, however, that longstanding pulmonary problems can affect the heart.
If you have an arrhythmia it should be specifically identified in order to assess its importance and treatment. Arrhtyhmias can be associated with breathing problems, and can also be precipitated by some drugs used to treat asthma. I suggest you speak to your doctor about the arrhythma and its specific diagnosis.
Please understand that I am unable to diagnose medican conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.