Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

chest pain when emotionally hurt. am i weak?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
After I argue with my girlfriend if I am emotionally hurt I get a chest pain until I feel better. During this time I don't want to eat anything. Sometimes it can be for a few hours or a day. When I told her about this she told me that I am a weak person and depressed and should see a doctor. Is she right about that?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2016
Mental Conditions Answer A59650
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

The symptoms that you are having are due to anxiety attacks rather than depression. Symptoms of anxiety neurosis include sweating, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, trembling and hot flashes.

Psychologic counselling helps a lot. Anti anxiety medicines are needed only when the symptoms persist even after psychologic counselling. Indulgence in yoga and meditation also helps. You should consult a psychiatrist and get it evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.