Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Chest pain scan results

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am a 46 yr old female, I have been experiencing chest to right of center radiating around to the right in the shoulder blade area. The pain was so bad my doctor sent me to the ER. I went through the ER on the chest pain route and no heart problems were found all blood work, chest x-ray and ultra-sound were normal. On physical exam I had pain in my URQ under my rib cage. Although my ultra-sound was normal they ordered a HIDA scan with cck. During the injection I experienced the same pain that brought me to the ER. My results were normal with an injection ratio of 40%. I am wondering what questions to ask my doctor? Will diet and exercise changes help? I currently eat a moderately healthy diet but do eat out for lunch several times a week. I do not exercise much, about 10 minutes 2-3 times a week on the tread mill.
I am also curious how to interpret my scan results. Is there any other things my doctor should check?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A10047

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. You need to ask your doctor regarding the cause of the pain which you are having and maybe some other tests to look for the cause of the same. The common causes have already been ruled out by doing the routine tests like x-ray chest, EKG, ultrasound and the gall stones by doing the HIDA scan. The possibility of the pain being muscular in origin is quite likely. However, a CT scan of the upper abdomen and lower chest can also be done to look for other causes like an inflammation of the pleura (pleuritis) etc.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.