User Profile
Been dealing with my 3rd bout of painful costochondritis this summer. It's always chest pain, shortness of breath sometimes, and the fact that I've had to diagnose myself after 3 doctor visits since none of them realize what I strongly feel is going on is chostochondritis. Pulmonology told me to get checked out for it and I finally did and sure enough it's likely that, but all blood tests for cardiac enzymes and CBC, X-Ray, and all that were perfectly normal. Also getting low thyroid hormones from Dextroamphetamine, but again, no doctor will check me for it to confirm it. I'm super disappointed with the healthcare system in Iowa. I'm in discomfort all the time but it seems like there's very few who actually will take the time to evaluate me for legitimate concerns.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2018
Chest Pain Answer A64267
Welcome to e health forum.

The chest wall includes the skin, ribs and muscles that surround the ribs. Chest wall pain is usually caused by injury, inflammation or infection of these structures. Common causes for chest wall pain include: muscle strain, chest contusion, and costochondritis. The pain in these conditions is brought on by movements of the abdominal wall or the rib cage. It is also increased by deep breathing.

Costochondritis is inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest wall pain and tenderness that you can reproduce by pushing on the involved cartilage in the front of the rib cage. Most cases of costochondritis have no apparent cause, and they usually subside spontaneously without treatment.

Try icing the area and use anti-inflammatory medications like advil to control the pain. The symptoms due to chest wall pain should subside within a few days. If it does not help, you may consult your doctor who can prescribe you better pain medications.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.