Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Chest pain following stomach virus

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello, I am a 22 year old male. Two nights ago I became very sick with diarrhea, vomiting, and dizziness. I could not keep an ice chip down for that night, but the next day I was able to drink. Today however, I'm feeling quite a bit better (still with a slight fever,) but my chest feels extremely heavy. Taking deep breaths is painful throughout my chest, neck, shoulders, back, but is not accompanied by coughing and clearing my throat produces nothing.

I am currently unemployed, or I would visit a doctor immediately. I have only been smoking for about 5 years, and I'm planning on quitting now.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you could have a viral or bacterial infection, resulting in pharyngitis, which is inflammation of your throat.

Tips to Sooth a Sore Throat / Tips to Sooth yourself during a common cold :
1. Drink enough fluids,
2. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
3. Rest your voice.
4. Gargle with warm salt water several times a day.
5. Suck on throat lozenges or hard candies.
6. Take a pain reliever, such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
7. Use medicated throat sprays.

In most cases, this is usually a mild and self-limiting condition which, with the above self care tips, clears up spontaneously. But if symptoms worsen, i.e. persistent cough, purulent expectoration, nose blocks, shortness of breath, or a fever that lasts more than four or five days, you might consider consulting a doctor who can provide you appropriate medical advice.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.