Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

chest pain dominately on the left/middle

I am a 20 year old caucasian female. I am 5 feet tall and weigh 100lbs.

I smoke on average 12 cigarettes
a day, and have since I was 16. (I am in the process of quitting, I know the health risks)

I am/have been experiencing a chest pain dominately on the left/middle of my chest, about four inches below my collar bone. It comes and goes five-ten times a day. The pain is a bit sharp and gets worse when I breath in or lie on my side. Sometimes the pain will be on my right side, and sometimes breathing in wont affect the pain.

The pain has been going on for about a month and a half.

I have been more stressed in that time period because I got a new job that gives me a ton of hours and requires me to be pretty active. School has also made me more stressed, along with relationship problems.

I recovered from broncitis about a month ago, and I thought it was that, but i'm uncertain if it is stress, a heart issue, or a lung issue.

I went to the hospital and had an EKG when I had broncitis. They also did two full chest Xrays, which came back with no signs of anything

Any thoughts? The back of my mind has me worried I have a developing disease.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2014
Thank you for asking at ehealthforum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. History of smoking and cleared ekg, its likely a lung infection as you had bronchitis in past too. Pleural involvement and irritation by smoke can cause these symptoms too. Anxiety itself is famous for such chest pains. So it can be both. You need to quit smoking, take some anxiolytics and treat the symptoms for the pain with pain killers and muscle relaxants and as per other symptoms.

I hope it helps.Please take good care of yourself and do as directed.I would advise to stay in touch with your health care provider as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and can not be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor where a complete evaluation occurs. I will be here if you need me or have any more questions to ask, i would love to answer.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Take care
Khan

|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2014
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

You are very young and unless you have predisposing medical conditions (congenital or familial genetic disorders) it is unlikely that you will have cardiovascular disorders.

Your symptoms could be more due to stress or musculoskeletal fatigue or over exertion induced sprain.

Some conditions like Fibromyalgia , costochondritis , chronic pain syndromes could sometimes present in a minority of patients , who have issues like severe anxiety, stress and a low pain threshold.

You may consult with your doctor who can examine you properly and advice accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.