Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Chest pain and rapid heart rate.

I am a healthy 20 year old male. I have smoked pot on and off for a year and smoked cigarettes pretty regularly. I just quit 4 days ago because I was experiencing problems. I ended up in the emergency room about two weeks ago thinking I was having a heart attack but the ER doctors and my general health practitioner shrugged it off as anxiety and prescribed me 50mg Zoloft. I have been on it for about two weeks and noticed no change, it actually seems to be getting worse. Today I ate a meal and my heart started beating very rapidly and took a while to calm down. I have also been having chest pain, shooting pains every once in a while. I leave for vacation in two days and I''m wondering if it really is anxiety and I need to wait it out or if there is another, more serious, issue I need to deal with.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Anxiety can present in different forms and is usually common to present as chest discomfort and palpitations.

The best way to rule out other conditions would be a EKG, chest x ray, echocardiogram and a holter ekg.

You might consult a cardiologist for proper evaluation and treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.