Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

chest congestion,fee ling like I have to hack up phlegm

User Profile
Hello, lately I've had this feeling I can only describe as chest congestion, like feeling like I have to hack up phlegm. Sometimes I will spend 15 minutes "hacking", but my cough will be dry and other times I will have fluid come up. I also get a feeling, like I don't feel air entering my body, however I can still take a deep breath, it just doesn't feel as fulfilling as it should. I also haven't had typical symptoms associated with asthma, such as wheezing, except for on one occasion, where I'd woken up in the morning after forgetting to take my allergy medicine the night before. I guess my question to you is whether or not this sounds like a mild case of asthma or strictly allergies, a sinus infection or even just anxiety. I've been half tempted to try and use an inhaler but I'm worried that it isn't actually asthma and would instead cause me to feel jittery. I am 21 6'0 tall and weigh 160lb. I do smoke and I do have GERD. I hae good pulse and blood pressure. This started 2weeks ago

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Smoking and GERD themselves present like these non productive coughs and upper respiratory airways issues. Now whether these are allergies or asthma will be proved after some work up for allergen sensitivity testing and bonchopulmonary functions assessments. bronchodilators, avoidance of allergens, short term use of steroids, bronchial thermoplasty and subcutaneous and sublingual therapies are some of the options used for the issue. Stay compliant with the meds and do as directed by the doctor. get to an allergist and immunologist and pulmonologist for further management.
I hope it helps
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.