Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Chemo resistant NHL

At 53, (18 months ago) I was diagnosed with Stage 3b follicular NHL following a biopsy. I had R-CVP (4x3 weekly) followed by just Rituximab (4x3 weekly). Scans(PET and CAT in June 2010)showed progression and new lumps and after another biopsy still only showed follicular disease I had 8x2 weekly R-CHOP ending November 2010. New areas of extra nodal disease occurred and existing nodes progressed within 10 weeks of completing this. I had radiation treatment for two areas finishing May 2011. Have just completed scans and again I had a couple of new areas of activity and progression of some old areas. I have continued throughout with the Rituximab monthly. I have not been in remission so far, so have not been able to have any stem cells extracted to allow an autologous transplant.
We have just re-done bone marrow and biopsied a new area to try to re-stage and re-diagnose the type of NHL and I am expecting results of these in the next few days. I am positive my treatment could not be better and I have not felt sick (just chemo-fatique during R-CHOP) during all my treatment so far.
What I want to know is what do you die of with lymphoma, eg do you get a cold and it escalates to pneumonia, does your heart give out, does the toxic effects of chemo/scans kill you or can you just get any type of infection and eventually antibiotics and your immune system can't cope....all of these....none of these? Is there any known more likely cause of death than any other?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 8th, 2011
Meanymate,

I think I'm in the same boat. I have NHL Large B Cell High Diffuse. I have been through R CHOP and R ICE and am now onto R Gemox, I have had the same question as you with no answer.
|

replied August 10th, 2011
Thanks Bullpug, everyone talks about the likely treatments (which we have had) and the remission rates but the info on-line almost assumes remission not any alternate outcome. I have another session with oncologist tomorrow after full femoral lymph node biopsy last week so hopefully will get a new treatment regime. Will keep you posted.
|

replied August 11th, 2011
Did you see the news about the T1 cells? Pretty impressive stuff. If not, Let me know and I'll post a link.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Am now being assessed / matched to have an allogeneic stem cell transplant.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
I hope you get the chance. I had my second round with R-Gemox and then a meet with my Dr. He said at the rate my cancer is fighting the chemo, I will not be a candidate for the stem cell transplant. I go for a third session in two weeks, but I don't hold out hope for that. Next step is drugs in test status (not sure I want to be a Guinea Pig) or I go the alternative route.
|