Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

checking for pubic hair growth & an enlarged clitoris?

User Profile
Hello. I am trying to figure out if what happened to my boyfriends six year old daughter during her routine physical is normal... She stated the Dr. touched her "down there". She said she didn't understand why and that is was "disgusting". When my boyfriend called the Dr. to see why, the Dr. explained he was checking for pubic hair growth & an enlarged clitoris. This doesn't sound normal to me, especially at only age six (kindergarden). But I know medicine changes all of the time, and I can't find anything online explaining what happens in a physical for a six year old girl. Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2014
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A47786
Welcome to e health forum.

In some cases, like Adrenal hypertrophy or other metabolic disorders (with abnormal adrenal hormone metabolism) it is possible for precocious puberty to occur, and your doctor might be examining your daughter, to rule out such disorders.

Without having a first hand information about what happened at the doctors clinic, any possibility of malpractice or child abuse acts cannot be interpreted.

You might consult with the concerned doctor and seek proper answers if you still have any doubts. If you think, your child was abused (based on any positive and clear history as well as physical examination findings) and there have been any previous instances or history of child abuse by this person, etc, then you can think of seeking appropriate action from the child protective services or other agencies.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.