Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Chantax cause violence ?

User Profile
I started taking Chantix to quit smoking around the beginning of December. I have a history of anxiety and depression, but the only side effects I noticed were really vivid dreams and becoming more withdrawn. On December 16th my girlfriend and I got into a domestic dispute. My HONEST memory of this incident is that she started verbally abusing me from the bedroom while I was in the kitchen. She then came out and started hitting me in the chest and pulling my hair. I tried to leave but she kept physically blocking me from the door. We argued for hours until she finally got out of the way and let me leave. A few days went by. Not long after Christmas I was woken by police officers serving me a summons to court for Domestic Violence. Her story is, of course, wildly different. I had heard that she was blaming Chantix for my alleged abuse. I scoffed at that idea, but then I received my discovery packet. I seen her photographed bruises. They are bad. For days I was sure she was trying to set me up, but in her statement to police she also blames the Chantix, so today I started offhandedly doing some online research on it. ..and holy crap. A lot of the stories really hit home. i am so confused and scared right now. What I want to know is.. is it possible that I freaked out and beat up my girlfriend? Is it possible that these very real memories that I have of that night aren't real at all? My Chantix ran out at the beginning of January and I didn't get more. I've been so stressed out that I actually want to smoke. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2017
Stop Smoking Answer A60479
Welcome to e health forum.

Some Common side effects of Chantix (Varencycline) include - Nausea and vomiting, Stomach pain, Constipation or diarrhea, gas, and indigestion ; Dry mouth ; Altered taste buds and changes in appetite ; Vivid and unusual dreams ; Sleepiness, trouble sleeping, and other sleep disorders ; Problems breathing ; Rash

Other Serious Side Effects of Chantix include - Changes in mood, including depression, Thoughts of killing yourself or others ; Swelling of the face, mouth, lips, throat, and tongue ; Skin sensitivity and life-threatening skin reactions ; Stroke, heart attack, chest pain, and irregular heartbeat ; Fainting ; Sudden kidney failure or kidney stones ; Bleeding from your stomach or intestines ; Blood disorders.

So your history may be due to side effects of Chantix or it could also be a misrepresentation and malingering, so as to start a lawsuit and seek damages from the pharmaceutical company.

Anyway all of this needs to be properly evaluated before confirming anything .

But, it would be recommended to consult your treating doctor who can help you deal with the situation.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.