Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

change in fibre intake, fruits and veg, changing stools?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
im a 37 yo male, about 8 weeks ago i decided to start having fibre bran for breakfast and up my intake of fruit & veg. about 6 weeks ago i starting breaking wind much more but also i noticed a yellowy green mucus coming out of my anus, there was also a little blood in the first stool but i suspected this was the piles i had developed whilst straining as some of the stools were hard to pass. i done some research and thought i was eating too much fibre, i hadnt realised that the fibre bran was to be taken with cereal instead i was having a full bowl as main cereal, so that stopped about 2 weeks ago, however the situation hasnt changed, it disappeared for a couple of weeks but is back now. my stools have been either small long ribbon like or small balls compacted together. i feel bloated until i have a poo. im having to push my farts out too and so i feel like there is some kind of blockage there. im going to doctors next week but would like any suggestions what it could be? help!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A32664
Welcome to e health forum.

The symptoms and description provided do not indicate you to have any severe medical condition.

It is probable that your symptoms of bloating could be due to ingestion of more air during swallowing food.

You can try probiotic supplements and medications like activated charcoal tablets (eg. Charcoal, Charcocaps), to help you reduce your discomfort and bloating sensations.

A impending consultation and physical examination, by your doctor, will certainly help in clearing any of your doubts.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.