Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

chances of diabetes after a severe attack of acute pacreatitis

User Profile
Hey guys, I am 16, I'm from England. And this time last month, i had a really severe attack of acute pancreatitis due to gallstones, and was in intensive care and everything - it nearly took my life. But I'm alive and wellish now, and i've had a laproscopic cholecystomy so it shouldn't happen again (touch wood!)My surgeon told me i am at a high risk of getting type 1 diabetes in the future, so i was wondering if anybody knew my statistical chances are of getting it and if there is anyone in a similar position to me, I would love to talk to you and exchange stories.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile toospecialforyou
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
toospecialforyou

Congrats on your recovery!

I would love to learn more about what you been through as I am going through this right now with a friend. I think he's dying because his kidneys failed. Please if you can help, I would appreciate your share of experiences.
|

replied January 20th, 2017
I too, developed acute pancreatitis due to small gall stones. I was 25 at the time and in my first trimester of pregnancy. Nothing could be done about the gall stones at that time but after the delivery of my daughter I was a Type 1 diabetic. I have been insulin dependent for over 40 years and a recent CT scan indicated that my pancreas has atrophied and is shrunken. I am now on Creon, an enzyme replacement therapy, and will be for the rest of my life. The enzymes are crazy expensive and the side effects are difficult. I know that I can't digest food without them and, without this drug, food goes through my system in about 15 minutes. I don't think diabetes is the worst that you can expect after a bout with pancreatitis. Good luck!
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....