Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

chances of contracting genital herpes?

User Profile
I received unprotected oral sex 8 days ago on Saturday. I did not see any open lesions on the individuals mouth. Her voice sounded hoarse like she had some sort of throat infection. Two days after the incident I had a slight discomfort to my penis. I went to see the Doctor and he completed a urine STD test. I was negative for gonorrhoea and chlamydia. On Thursday I had a tingling feeling to my penis. On Friday I felt a slight burning to my groin area. On Saturday I went back to the Dr about my worries of contracting genital herpes. She said my symptoms were not typical of herpes, and if I develop any lesions to come back. Today I still feel the slight burning feeling to my groin mixed in with a bit of feeling of "coolness." There is no redness, no lesions, does not burn when I urinate, and no discharge. My anxiety is through the roof, and I've been having a hard time sleeping and eating.
What are my chances of contracting genital herpes? and are my symptoms consistent with herpes?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2016
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A57217
Hello,
Definitely there are chances of transmission of STDs through oral sex, though less than unprotected sexual intercourse.As you have received a fellatio,it may be possible to get certain STIs on the penis, from receiving oral sex from a partner with a mouth or throat infection. It’s possible to have an STI in more than one area, for example in the throat and the genitals.
But it is unusual to transmitted if you do not have any symptoms except herpes.If the person had herpes there is obviously a chance of transmission to you as herpes is often remain silent in carrier and even after transmission.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.