Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

chances of catching gladula fever

Hi. I am dating a man who had gladula fever a few years ago. I really like him but I am anxious about kissing him. His GF developed into chronic fatigue which he still has after all these years. I read that GF can be reactivated in a person even if they don't show symptoms.... ie a person can be infectious years later with no warning signs. I also read that 90% of people carry it.... I would like to know:

1)is there a test I can do to see if I carry it anyway so I can stop worrying?

2) Are there different strands of glandula fever? Ie I might carry one strand and not another.

3)Is there any regular test the infected person can do to see if the virus is active in their saliva?

4) Am I just as likely to catch it from the rest of the 90% of the population? Please help!! Thanks

Can anyone direct me to websites with detailed info on my questions.... what I have found so far doesn't answer my specific questions.

Thanks

Karen
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Karen,

Glandular Fever is also known as Infectious Mononucleosis, which is caused by the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV).

In the post that follows this one, I have included the links to several sites that have more information than you will ever need. But, it will not be accessible for a few days, while the eHealth admin makes sure the links are okay.

But, in the mean time, if you want to look for the sites, you can by "Googling" some of the following:

"Infectious mononucleosis and CDC"
"Infectious mononucleosis and Mayo Clinic"
"Infectious mononucleosis and Wikipedia"
"Infectious mononucleosis and American Academy of Family Physicians"

You can find more information than just these sites, but these seemed to give a great deal of information, with a range of complexity in understanding.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....