Is it possible to have Celiac Disease if you don't have the stomach upset/bowl problems after eating gluten?
I have had hypoglycemia my whole life and low iron anemia.
I constantly have had to urinate way more since I was 7.
I recently almost a week ago stopped eating gluten to control hypoglycemia and have noticed a drastic difference.
I am not hungry all the time, I no longer am constantly tired and in a huge fog/daze everyday which I couldn't get out of all day and at lunch I used to fill like I had to sleep, a sleepy feeling like I had been drugged it was so strong and couldn't feel better until after I slept. That feeling is gone.
I get what is beginning to feel like an almost normal tired now.
I realized after I woke out of this cloud that I always had digestive trouble with dairy but, had whey protein after stopping gluten and was in the bathroom for a fair bit for the next 24 hours, and the same with soy.
It's like any intolerance I had before are now emphasized for me to see clearly.
When I cut out gluten and started feeling so drastically better, along with countless other celiac symptoms, I have started to wonder if gluten has been the one causing the hypoglycemia.
I have cut out sugar before and felt better but not this much better. This time I cut out sugar and gluten.
plus someone in my immediate family has Addison's Disease and my mother is always in a foggy daze with blood sugar problems as well and she tries to stay away from wheat because it makes her feel bad, which makes me think Celiac Disease could be in my family.

I have not touched gluten since I stopped it about 5 days ago, so I don't know what my reaction would be to it now, but I never went through bouts of diarrhea then constipation back and forth like that when I was eating gluten, but had all the other symptoms so is it possible for someone to have Celiac disease without the bowl problems and stomach cramps?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2009
Experienced User
It is indeed possible for you to have coeliac disease and not suffer from any bowel problems outwardly. Sometimes the damage is being done silently on the inside. To get a proper diagnosis, you need to eat foods containing gluten for at least six weeks and then have a small bowel biopsy. If you have it while you are off gluten the results can be misleading. I would recommend discussing this with your doctor and at least having the blood test for CD. If this is inconclusive or positive, then go ahead and have the biopsy. It can make a big difference to your quality of life and to your insides. Coeliac disease that is ignored can lead to stomach cancer later on.
|

replied May 31st, 2009
Questionnaire
Hello, my name is Emma and I am doing a project at school to design desserts for people with coeliacs disease to eat on special occations. I need about 20 people suffering from coeliacs disease to help me by filling in a questionnaire i have prepared. Thank you to anybody willing to help me out. Here are the questions:
What sort of desserts do you like to eat, that you can�t, at a special occasion?

What sort of cake would you prefer at a special occasion?

Are you limited to the amount of cake/dessert you can eat at a special occasion?

Would you buy a product � e.g. a birthday cake � if it was suitable for people suffering from coeliac disease?

Yes or No

If so, how much would you pay for a dessert or cake that is suitable for a special occasion?

Have you seen anything like this product on the supermarket shelves before?

Yes or No

If so, where?

What sort of size do you think the product should be? For example, would you mind other people eating this product or would you prefer a smaller option just for a couple of people?

Why would you like to have a product specially designed for people with coeliacs disease?
|

replied May 31st, 2009
in the first question it has gone wrong a bit and it is meant to say cant and the next time it goes wrong you can just ignore it it doesnt change he question. Thanks again
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2009
Experienced User
if it is giving you this much relief you don't need no tests just don't eat food with it in it or at least reduce it, most of what we consume is a processed form & when it has had heat applied it changes it's structure & bioavailablity to the body. ceoliac disease runs in blood lines as it is a defective gene that is affected, it is also more prevalent in females than males but thats not to say males don't get it.I have!
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
Dear Unna,

I've 53 and have the same issues over the years - the anemia and the hypoglycemic reactions. Because both my brother and father had medical issues cured by stopping wheat, I experimented with my own diet and at least, cured myself of what I called the coma-syndrome after eating - you know, what you described of having to sleep so badly. For instance, the hero sub sandwiches; I can eat the other stuff - like in a salad (and I'll add legumes), but all that bread was apparently the culprit. What a relief! But I still don't know about celiac. Recently, I had a medical check-up with blood work and RDW was high. I found a research aritcle in a 2002 medical journal (European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology) in which they address the problem of undiagnosed celiac disease (diagnosis is expensive) and they evidenced RDW in a blood to be an indicator of celiac. Lets keep sharing what works!
|

replied November 27th, 2010
Hypoglycemia and coeliacs
I was diagnosed with coeliacs a yr and a half ago and and 6 months later with hypoglycaemia if i stick to the diet then my blood sugar drops most days and im extremely tired!! if i dont stick with the diet then my blood sugar is fine but my hair falls out and im sick all the time !!! im only 16 and iv have a lot of illness this yr getting through post 16 is a nightmare at the min with my blood sugar dropping to 1.2 last week!! any ideas of what i can do to stop it from dropping so low every day ?!?! thanks laurenx
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....