Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Celiac for couple years, trouble sticking to diet

User Profile
I'm 18 and have been diagnosed with celiac for 2 years now. I'm about 130 pounds. My symptoms are fatigue, stomach pain, bloating, appetite loss, weight gain/loss. Some days my mood is up and down and I feel I have trouble accepting I have to change my life style around going out to eat and shopping on my own at home. I'm also hypoglycemic and supposedly neuroglycopenic according to my doctor but I don't fully understand what it is. Seems like my mood goes down when I'm hungry or have a loss of appitite when my stomach hurts. I always say "it'll be fine" when I eat certain things and I definitely pay for it later. Anyone else have a really had time accepting the new idea and adapting to a new diet because of it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2015
There is a wide variety of food available today for celiacs. Try them out they are not bad when you get used to it. As for the hypoglycemia I have this for 34 years since I had most of my stomach removed. It is low blood sugar the opposite to diabetes. When you feel it coming on eat something or drink a coke then it will pass quickly. If you leave it get hold of you your hands can shake and you could pass out for a while. You can get a free testing kit from the chemist to check your bloods, it is easy to use and it will tell you when your blood sugar is low or high. Hope this helps you. keep well
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. I can understand your discomfort and troubles. With celiac disease, there is so much to be cautious about when eating and trying to look for gluten free diet is really bothersome. But you have to do it if you want your symptoms to stay minimum. You need to stick to a gluten free diet and your bowell symptoms will reduce to normal. This neuroglycopenia and Hypoglycemia is also a part of this metabolic syndrome. Just have to eat small frequent meals, avoid the triggers, prefer gluten free diet , adapt good lifestyle and have a regular exercise and the symptoms will stay normal. Stay in touch with your Gastroenterologist and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Celiac Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.