Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Celiac Disease only, or is there something else?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about six months ago now. Ever since I have been gluten free, I was doing great until the past two to three weeks. I have been doubled over in pain in my abdomen. It is either a sharp knife feeling, or its like a fire was lite in my stomach. Am I doing something wrong or should I consult my doctor?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Gluten enteropathies with gluten fre ediet may make us think out side the box of some thing else than gluten sensitivity causing it. Pain abdomen needs some spasm relief like phloroglucinols and gluten strict monitoring.
Complete elimination of gluten-containing grain products (including wheat, rye, and barley) is essential to treatment. However, complete avoidance of gluten-containing grain products is relatively difficult for patients to achieve and maintain because certain products, such as wheat flour, are virtually ubiquitous in the American diet.
Meanwhile soft fibrous diets and plenty of fluids intake will help If the problem persists seeking a gastroenterologist would be a nice option. Seek a dietitian and nutritionist too for a complete dietary plan. Get a short duration of corticosteroids for the relief if the gluten free diet is not enough.
Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Celiac Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.