Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Celiac diet and synthyroid levels

User Profile
can my recent diagnosis and beginning of the celiac diet affect my synthroid levels? I have Hashimoto's and have been on synthoid for about 15 yrs. Since beginning the diet 8 weeks ago, I find myself tired all the time. Any connection?
Thanks, nancy

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2010
Celiac Disease Answer A12442
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with the effect on synthroid levels after starting treament for celiac disease.
If you have celiac and an underactive thyroid(Hashimoto's in your case), you need to be concerned about thyroid hormone absorption. If your sprue(celiac) is not adequately treated (resulting in malabsorption), you will not absorb all of your thyroid hormone and your condition will worsen.
So when you start the treatment for celiac and malabsorption is corrected, you might need to decrease the dosage of synthroid as the absorption of levothyroxine will improve. It's important to titrate the dosage so that you might not have levels in hyperthyroid range which run the risk of osteoporosis and arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation.
You must consult your endocrinologist for further advice and do not attempt any dosage change on your own as it is not possible to make definitive diagnosis online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Celiac Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.